Sign in to follow this  
ronandsue74

Fan Controller Sensors

During my 3,300 mile journey last month my engine temperature suddenly started to climb during a few of our driving segments. Fortunately I have installed the fan controller by-pass switch on my control panel so I was able to switch my fan to high as needed.

During most of this trip the fan would go into high speed at 207 degrees and switch to a lower speed at about 200 degrees. I was able to track this as I can hear the fan when it's on high. The fact that this happened very inconsistently leads me to believe my CAC temp sensor or my engine temp sensor are malfunctioning. So, today I went to my coach to check the ohms resistance of my sensors. According to the Sauer Danfoss Technical Information manual they should read between 1.2k to 3.0k ohms at the engine side of the 6 connector pin across pins C&D for coolant and E&F for charge air.

FINALLY TO MY PROBLEM! I only have a three pin connector coming from my fan controller. The Sauer Danfoss technical information manual does not address my three pin configuration setup.

Can someone shed some light on my situation?

2005 Country Coach Inspire #51264

Cat C-9 engine S/N 9DG01439

FAN CONTROLLER:

Sauer-Danfoss 0418

FDCA NC 12 VDC 1.2A HP 3000

S/W PARAMETERS: PO184204026A

S/N: 1215877

Thank You,

Ron Jacobs

Ron,

Sorry, not first hand information.

But with the good diagnostic information (though for a different system) you received from Sauer-Danfoss, I would re-contact them with your Sauer-Danfoss model number.

Ron ! I looked at some suppliers with the information you posted, but found nothing.

You might try to contact Nova Hydraulics at the link below and see if they can offer any help.

A Micro Controller is used to control the fan speed using data being sent by sensors. This is a software controlled system to help meet EPA standards.

http://www.novahydraulics.com/contact.aspx?gclid=CM2zoIzWoMECFQ9p7Aod3lIARA

Rich.

Ron-- I did find this information regarding the possible sensors used in your system.

Sauer-Danfoss 1090173 (liquid) and 1090174 (air) temperature sensors are thermistortype
temperature sensors. Generally one sensor(1090174) is used for the CAC and two sensors are used for the radiator. One at the top and one at the bottom.

Sense you have a 3 wire plug, I'm thinking you have just 2 sensors- one each for the CAC and radiator with a common ground.Both sensors read the same resistance at the same temperature.

Using the chart below 70degF would = 21degC and you would read between 1.2k and close to 3k at 60 deg F.

Measured temperature versus sensing element resistance

Measured

Temperature ºC

Resistance Ω

Nominal Tolerance

50deg C = 810.9 ± 5% 120degF

80deg C = 283.0 ± 5% 176degF

100deg C = 152.9 ± 8% 212degF

125deg C = 76.9 ± 8% 257degF

The reading are different are close but Cat may have specked out a different supplier.

You might contact them to get the real information. The fact that you have 3 pin connector and not a 6, and the fact that they are using only 4 pins(if in fact you only have four wire connected) according to your information. Having a 3 pin connection is not a reach.

Generally the specific configuration of equipment installed on any coach is the domain of the manufacturer of the motor home. Since this seems to be a non-standard installation, I would Contact Country Coach and talk to their technical department for a possible answer to your question.