I am sure this has been asked many times before, but here goes. I am set up now to tow the Jeep and have the RVI brake system. Coach is a Newmar with air brakes, just got a 16 ft enclosed trailer with electric brakes to take our Harley and Polaris Ranger with us on short trips.

I had wife push the brakes in the coach, but do not get a light on my tester when checking the post in the 7 pin plug on back of coach. I assume the coach is not wired for electric brakes.

Question: Is the easiest way to set up trailer brakes a surge brake system? Or should I get something else? I would assume that converting the air brakes to electric signal is not an easy way to go?

Suggestions and comments appreciated.

gaylemarlowe, What is the make,model and year of your coach?

Starting around the early to mid 2000's the coach builders started adding a relay / fuse box for the 7 pin connector.

With a little more information the group might be able to pass on some better information regarding the brake light issue.

Rich.

Hi Rich,

2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4320 on Spartan chassis.

If you are correct and I already have the capability but need a relay or something, that would really be good news!

Rich,

Just read your post again, and it looks as though you may think I am trying to get trailer brake lights. Not so. Trying to get trailer brakes to work off coach.

Gayle

Actually, one can use the brake light signal to trigger a relay that can use a high enough current to work the electric brakes in most cases. Some use electronic lighting, and would have to be careful with that circuit.

A call to the manufacturer of your coach, should be able to answer if your coach is already wired for electric brakes.

I called my coach builder and there was a plug under the dash to wire a brake controller to. It already had a relay and everything else that was needed. Call your manufacture of your coach and you may have the same.

Just wanted to let you guys know that you were pretty much ALL correct. Got my wiring diagrams from Spartan (110 pages) and it shows the coach is wired from dash to tow plug in the back for electric brakes. However, under the dash, the wires (1 for electric brakes and 1 spare) are terminated and coiled up for customer use.

Customer (me) must tie into wiring coming off air brake pedal circuit, run thru a standard trailer brake proportional controller, tie into wire going to rear tow plug, and PRESTO, electric brakes.

Problem is to find the wiring for the air brake circuit that is under dash. Had hoped I could see it and access it from floor by steering column, but no luck. Looks like a good portion of dash is needed to come off to find it.

So, Thursday it goes in for a very small contortionist to work on it.

Thanks for the responses!

Mine was stuffed down the plastic covering the bottom of steering column. Yes I had to take it off to find it, the manufacture didn't do this but maybe the PO did it so wouldn't hang down.