Sign in to follow this  
Wallee

RV Change Over

Good day in RV land-- just put ours in winter mode today darn.

But we have been reading the magazines and have notice a trend in the new RV's.

They all seem to be going away from lpg to all electric.

Is there a reason for this or is it just a trend?

With lpg at least you can have a stove if power is out or a freezer fridge.

wallee F429753 :mellow:

Most if not all today's coaches have generators to allow electric when the power is out. One less system on the coach (LP delivery and storage) is one less system to maintain. It's also one less system to install. Perhaps this is the thought process.

The all electric coaches are generally using induction cooking. This is a quicker and safer way to cook. The cook surface stays cool to the touch, but heats everything quicker. For those of us that still have LP systems, many are considering or have actually purchased induction cook tops (Nuwave is one brand).

We have been using an induction cook top in the motorhome for the last six years and even have a Samsung induction range at home. Having LP is another power source which is still a nice option.

With campgrounds going to 50 amp service, which is 50 per 120 volt leg, and that equates to 100 amp total. Now with house type refrigerators which a few years ago required 12 or more amps, some of the newer ones using less than 4 amps today, certainly is more friendly to the usage of the current now available. Also the house type fridge requires no vent through the roof, and no chimney for insects to clog up. And as mentioned by others the induction cook tops use far less energy, and are cleaner to use than gas. This is just a few reasons for the trend

I know the trend is to all or mostly electric, but how can you get rid of the propane and still run your furnace in cold weather? I assume it takes an AquaHot or something similar?

Aquahot is being used a lot, it is diesel fired, and uses 12 volt for pump and blowers. Although LP gas is still a viable source for the furnace. I built my coach 3 years ago, and still installed a gas stove, because I like the ability to cook on gas when boondocking.