zdzimme7041@aol.com

House Batteries

zdzimme7041,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

You do not mention over what period of time this occurs. Batteries DO self-discharge, but we are talking in weeks, not days.

If in a shorter time frame, that indicates that there is still a draw on them. You will likely find that your disconnect switch does not disconnect all loads.

If you have an ammeter, disconnect the negative battery lead at the battery and hook the ammeter between the negative terminal and the cable. See what it draws.

Other options include plugging in and/or a solar panel to keep the batteries charged while in storage.

Brand new house batteries on my Holiday Rambler continue to run down even when I turn battery switch off. Batteries test fair with a specific gravity test, and they show no voltage with a multi-meter

Welcome to the forum. As Brett said give us some more details. How long does it take to go down?

What do you mean " Batteries test fair" They should show a full charge. Make sure they are getting a full charge.

Bill

I am not sure the brand of batteries, bought at Costco in July 2014. Motor home is not plugged in, I have it in outside storage with no access to power to charge the batteries. The unit was parked on Saturday with the panel showing the batteries were on float charge, by Tuesday the batteries were dead. I tested the specific gravity while the batteries were discharged and all cells tested fair. I turned the battery disconnect in the battery compartment to off when I parked it.

zdzi,

Even though you turn off you battery disconnect there are several items in the system that are still connected and over time will discharge your batteries. To be certain your have everything off you should disconnect the negative (ground) cable of both Chassis and house batteries.

Since so many batteries are sealed I use a load tested to check my Batteries. I charge them then use the load tester. I have had brand new batteries that although showed fully charged by a volt meter they would not pass the load test. Let face it there are bad units from the best of manufactures.

Herman

I am not sure the brand of batteries, bought at Costco in July 2014. Motor home is not plugged in, I have it in outside storage with no access to power to charge the batteries. The unit was parked on Saturday with the panel showing the batteries were on float charge, by Tuesday the batteries were dead. I tested the specific gravity while the batteries were discharged and all cells tested fair. I turned the battery disconnect in the battery compartment to off when I parked it.

There is something that doesn't make sense to me. You say it is indicated that the batteries are on float charge with no shore cord connection. How can that be? Float charge voltage is about 13.5 to 13.8 volts with the charger on. Are the batteries 6 volt golf cart? How many, 4 or 6? If they are 12 volt, are they deep cycle? What kind of charging do you have, inverter/charger or converter?

I was running the generator to charge the batteries on the trip to the storage facility and they had charged the batteries to the point they were on float charge when I parked the RV and turned off the batteries. I returned two days later and the batteries were dead.

They are 4-6 volt batteries, and the charging system is a inverter/ charger.

While driving, both alternator and inverter/charger are charging the batteries. But, depending on condition of the batteries, depth of discharge and length of drive/generator run time, they may not have been brought to full charge.

Best first step is to leave shore power on for 24 hours, then check the battery SG (Specific Gravity). That will tell you if all the cells are OK or if you have a bad battery.

The other half of the equation is to determine the draw on the batteries when they are disconnected (as already mentioned).

Please let us know what you find.

I was running the generator to charge the batteries on the trip to the storage facility and they had charged the batteries to the point they were on float charge when I parked the RV and turned off the batteries. I returned two days later and the batteries were dead.

They are 4-6 volt batteries, and the charging system is a inverter/ charger.

How long was the trip-- ie how long did you have them on charge? You still need to check for how much draw you have the way Brett mentioned. Not trying to jump on you.

When you have just been charging a battery and don't remove the float charge you will get a false reading on the actual charge state of the battery. You can let the battery's rest for 24 hours or apply a load of about 20 amps for about 4-5 minuets this will remove the float charge.

Bill

Like I said the RV is at a storage facility, so I am not able to put or leave a charge on it and won't be able to get proper readings for a while, will let you know how that goes. I just thought it was unusually short time for the batteries to run down when they were left fully charged and the battery switch was off.

Like I said the RV is at a storage facility, so I am not able to put or leave a charge on it and won't be able to get proper readings for a while, will let you know how that goes. I just thought it was unusually short time for the batteries to run down when they were left fully charged and the battery switch was off.

It's possible the batteries were never charged fully. As Brett said you need to charge for at least 24 hours. If you leave the batteries low or dead, the life of the batteries is greatly shortened. If it is freezing out the water could freeze and break the case. You might want to take the batteries out and store them in a warmer place, and you could charge and test them also.

Well hear is the best advise I can offer. Take the battery's some place you can do a proper charge. I would consider taking them someplace that can load test them after they are charged to eliminate the possibility of a bad cell or bad battery. Then recharge them and take them back to the RV and do the test for parasitic loads the way Brett recommended.

Then report your findings.

Bill