emmaisacat

Proper Way To Store Motorhome To Maintain Batteries

2015 Phaeton just returned home with it. I park it at my house in a covered area. After 1 week, the batteries were dead.

The "in house" battery switch was turned off at the battery and I was surprised to see dead batteries. I have a 30 amp plug at my parking site. Should I keep the unit plugged in? At 30 amp? or move it to 20 amp?

I may go 2-3 months without using the motorhome.

With shore power available, leave it plugged in IF you have a smart charger or smart inverter/charger that is properly programmed. Really makes no difference if 15 amp or 30 amp shore power. Once the batteries are charged (i.e. if float mode) it will take very little power.

The other issue is whether the chassis battery is also charged, or if you need to add equipment (separate smart charger or smart relay that charges chassis battery when house battery is being charged).

Thanks Brett, we are in AZ so cold weather is not a problem. With my 5th wheel, I could just use the battery disconnect and it would stay charged for months. However, with the Phaeton, there are a lot more electronics. 2015 Phaeton has all the necessary equipment to keep me topped off. (As long as I am plugged in) So that is what I will do.

Just make sure your inverter/charger is properly programmed (battery type, size of battery bank (in amp-hrs) and importantly, temperature where the batteries live.

I don't know anything specific about the Phaeton but here is something that could be generic. You can check on this by calling the dealer.

The steps are controlled by a current limiter switch. Even when the steps are extended or retracted there is still a current flow to maintain their state. The trickle charge from the converter may not have enough juice to maintain the batteries. In my particular case with a different model/mfg I turn the step off after I close the door. I can reach the switch through the screen opening. Ever since I stopped doing that, and one more item in next paragraph, I have not had a problem.

Next paragraph. Again in my particular case, when the disconnect switch is in the disconnect position there is no charge being administered from the converter. The wiring just doesn't work that way - in my case, no trickle charge.

I would like to suggest that you call your Mfg and ask questions.

emmaisacat,

You coach electrical system has a number of phantom loads, that slowly drain the batteries even when the disconnects are activated.

There are control systems that are programed and need power to maintain there settings and others that need power to retain stored date.

You mentioned that your batteries where discharged after only one week in storage. I'm thinking that is way to fast, with the disconnects set in the off position.

The batteries should hold up longer then that in MHO. So you might want to get a hydrometer reading on all the battery cells. One has no idea if the battery's where damaged while setting and not being charged or maintained before you purchased the coach.

Rich..

I had a similar issue with my American Eagle. To make a long story short I found that my battery disconnect relay needed replacing. When I pushed the disconnect button it gave every indication that it was in the off position. The connect light would turn off, you could hear the actuation click on the relay, yet when I put an amp meter on the battery is showed a drain on the battery. After replacing the relay, I inspected the old relay and discovered that the contacts were pitted from years of use and that the contactor was not releasing. The residual loads would drain the battery in short order.

If you choose to leave the rig plugged in to electric, 30 amp is OK, just be sure that your charger is one of the newer types that will automatically adjust to a float condition once the battery is charged. Otherwise you risk overcharging the battery.

I store my rig in the winter for several months in a spot where I do not have access to electricity. A single solar panel on the roof along with the charge controller is enough to keep the batteries in tip top shape and they do not get overcharged That was not the case before I replaced the disconnect relay. The constant residual load 24 hrs. a day exceeded the charge capacity of my single panel and the short winter daylight charge cycle.

Thanks, good information. I had a solar panel on a 5th wheel which I traded for my Phaeton. It worked like a charm. No moving parts and it always kept my battery topped off.

I may do the same with my motorhome. I think my problem was that the inverter was not turned off. It may have caused the drain.

My clue may have been my refrigerator control light was still on. Unit was off but it was still drawing power.

Thanks for your input.

Larry

Solar panel sounds like a good idea. I park mine for 6 to 8 months but I disconnect the coach batteries ground and have had no problems so far. I run the engine for 1/2 hour or so every 2 months also.

Flnomad,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Out of curiosity, what kind of RV do you have-- running an engine, particularly if a diesel without driving it is really hard on them. Leads to a lot of condensation, as water vapor is a natural by-product of combustion-- the water you see coming out of tail pipes before the exhaust is hot enough to vaporize it.