Sign in to follow this  
georgeal

Power In-dash XM Radio & Speakers With Shore Power

I am trying to power my in dash XM radio with shore power (so I don't have to have the ignition switch on).

I have hooked up 12 volt to bypass the ignition switch but don't know how to power the motorhome speakers.

georgeal,

Welcome to the FMCA forum!

Questions:

When you use the XM radio, does the audio use the Surround sound system?

What system do you have?

What is the Make and Model of the XM Radio?

You may need to power the Surround system also!

Rich.

The motorhome is a 2007 Damon Tuscany, When I turn the Ignition switch to acc position the radio uses surround sound. XM radio is Alpine.

I'm guessing there is an acc switch position wire I could bypass.to do this. Any suggestions?

Perhaps a better option would be to wire both radio and surround sound to the house battery bank.

And, if you do move them, be sure not to bypass an in-line fuse at the source of 12 VDC positive.

georgeal,

Good information and Brett offered a reasonable option.

Coach is built on a Freightliner Chassis, so you might place a call to Freightliner Custom Chassis (Have the last 6 digits of the Vin) and ask it they could send you a PDF copy of the accessory wiring diagram and ask if the drawing covers the connection point for the ACC power for the Alpine radio and the surround sound amp.

You might call Damon and see it they could offer some additional information and mention why you want to redirect the circuit to the Coach battery circuit, eliminating the need to leave the ignition switch in the Accessory position.

With the information, you could install a On / On toggle switch. and label it. Park radio and Travel radio. The center / common connection then would go to the proper fuses to protect the wiring / equipment. With the power supplied from the Coach or Chassis batteries.

Thing is that once the proper location to switch the 12 volt power is located a switch might not be necessary, but having a switch offers an option, if one of the power sources fails.

I have a switch for that reason mounted in the dash panel using a switch that matches the other OEM switches installed by the coach builder.

Good luck and let the forum know how you make out!

Rich.

I don't believe the radio is a feature provided by Freighlier. They just do the chassis.

Call Damon.

Funny, but my coach, not a Damon, has a switch that came with it that says "Radio Service/House".

I also have speaker that say "Radio/TV", but they are provided by the coach mfg, and not Freightlner

Thank you all for the information, It will be about a week before I can get back to the project. I do believe a switch idea is a good one, and your right about about Freightliner. I will call Thor who bought out Damon and hope they saved some diagrams.

georgeal,

The Freightliner Chassis wiring drawing for your coach, should pinpoint the circuit they install. That will picture the accessory relay installed in the main fuse and relay box. Generally located under the dash area.

This is the point where you will need to interrupt the Chassis power to the XM Radio and the Surround sound amp.

This wire will be the one that feeds power to the sound system.

The Coach Builder does not install this relay. The 12 volt output from this point / relay terminal, will be wired to one side(terminal) of the switch and a new wire / circuit needs to be run from the coach 12 volt supply to the other side(terminal).

The center terminal of the switch goes to the audio equipment. This is the wire that you cut at or near the relay and connect to the switch. you then connect the other end of the wire to the center / common terminal. This is the wire that will power the audio equipment, depending on the position of the switch.

That is why I mentioned calling Freightliner for the drawings that match your chassis electrical. There is the possibility of more then one relay because of the way the Coach builder ordered the chassis. The chassis builder may have added an extra relay to the audio circuit, BUT you need to know where to interrupt the chassis accessory power feed.

Rich.