BorJGreen1031

Air Horns Not Working

Does anyone have a Safari Continental Panther? We have a 2000 Panther and our air horns will not work. Can anyone tell me where the air compressor, air solenoid and air tank and the relay or switch that comes from the horns is located?

The compressor is mounted on the engine. The air tanks are mounted berween the frame rails near the front. You most likely have an electrical issue rather than an air issue.

I have mention this before about the Smart Wheel. There are lots of items in a coach controlled by the Smart Wheel Control Box, one is the air horn. It also controls the Head lights. It is made by Vehicle Improvement Products. I don't have their number but you can get it from their web site, vipwheels.com.

They can give you several test to find out if your controller is bad. Their techs are easy to work with.

Good luck,

Herman

BorJGreen 1031,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

A couple of assumptions you need to verify:

You have the torasilatic suspension, not air suspension. You have hydraulic over hydraulic 4 wheel disk brakes. If so, you do not have an engine-driven air compressor. With the big Caterpillar engine, you have an engine compression brake, not exhaust brake. So, no PacBrake air compressor.

If all that true, you will have a 12 VDC air compressor. Likely location is in the very front or in one of the forward basement compartments. The solenoid, at least on our Safari Sahara was in the very front (access from front). Pretty easy to identify as it has both two wires and two small-diameter air hoses. If your compressor is working, it should be pretty easy to locate. Turn the ignition key to on, but do not start the engine. The compressor should run to pressurize the system-- walk around the outside listening for it.

There are several points of failure:

Fuse or wiring to compressor.

Pressure switch-- should be either on or very near the compressor.

Compressor itself.

Solenoid switch. This failed on our coach-- the rubber material used in the seal area denigrated, "gluing" the plunger to the seat. So, no horn AND an air leak that kept the compressor running more than it should.

Wiring from horn ring to solenoid.

Air line from compressor to solenoid and then to the horns on the roof.

Let us know what you find as you get into troubleshooting.

My 34' Aerosport 2 by HMC on a 1992 Spartan chassis has Grover air horns with it's own 12 V. compressor. A rebuild kit from Grover for the compressor and a cleaning inside the horns has them working like new. Hope this helps someone. Pete Abbe