lylefikse

Norcold 1210 Reading No AC On Panel

I thought I had our Norcold Fridge running on Auto. Today it started beeping at the control panel and showed a "no flo" reading. After checking around I realized the fridge had been running on propane and our tank had gone empty. I tried to switch the fridge over manually to the AC setting and got a reading of "no AC" Either I had the fridge running on LP for a long time without realizing it or it automatically switched to LP when the AC stopped working.

Can't figure out why the AC is not working. All the other AC in the Coach is working fine. Where should I start looking?

Do you think I could use an outside outlet (not part of the motorhome) and run a drop cord to the fridge to check it out and see if it will work that way for now. Risks?

Of course this happened on a weekend when I can't get a technician to come and work on it.

Lyle,

Yes, you can run the refrigerator from an extension cord.

First thing I would do is plug in something else into the outlet to see of you have 120 VAC to the back of the refrigerator outlet.

If no, reset any GFI's in the coach and/or troubleshoot it.

If yes, there is a fuse on the refrigerator PC board that may be out.

Let us know how your troubleshooting goes.

Cold this morning in Desert Hot Springs. That's good for a fridge that is not working. I tested the plug that the fridge plugs into and it works fine. I also plugged the fridge into an outside outlet with a drop cord and got the same "no AC" message so know power to the fridge is OK. Looked for fuses and the only one I see on the circuit board is a 5 amp. It appears to be OK. There is another tube type fuse on the circuit board that also appears OK.

I wonder if my problem could be the Norcold Recall box on the unit. The little red light on it is not on. I tried to reset it with a magnet without success. I have only read about resetting these and have never done it before. Maybe the magnet I have is not strong enough. I put it right by the light and did not hear a click that I am told happens when they reset.

More ideas would be appreciated. How could I bypass this box to check if it is the problem?

Then we could have a fridge till tomorrow when I can get propane or a Norcold Tech to replace the box if it is faulty.

I tracked the problem to the Hi Limit switch (Norcold Recall). Couldn't fix it with a magnet so I bypassed it as described on internet. Fridge took right off on electric. Don't want a fire, so will have a tech come out and reset the switch or order a new one. I guess that switch doesn't shut the unit off when on propane. I think mine was on Auto when it tripped and then switched over to propane when the switch failed. Could be wrong about that. I also had to clean the clips on the tube type fuse on the circuit board as they were not making contact. Good to go for today. Always seems to happen on a weekend, doesn't it?

Lyle, Where in Hot Desert Spring ar you? I'm down here too and I can come by with a few test equipment. The recall box shouldn't shut off only 120 volts and could be low voltage at at the site pedestal. I had to have tech fix the pedestal where I'm at now because there was a ground leak.

Had an RV Mobile Repair unit come out today to check the fridge. He did all the same things I did with the same result. Appears the Norcold Recall box is toast. He called Norcold and ordered a new box. He, like so many, said the recall box is junk. He didn't even want to get involved in the recall boxes, but did agree to get me a new one. At least I now know how to by-pass it to have the fridge working if this happens again.

Lyle,

Have you checked the outside refrigerator compartments for any signs of leakage or yellow stuff?

Just a precaution in case the recall box did it's job.

Crandall Moble RV Service from Desert Hot Springs, California are Stars!! They returned with the new recall box and put it in last week. The fridge took right off. Then he pulled out a little insulation patch and said to me I asked them to send this as well, I noticed the original recall was done incorrectly.

We have had constant problems with this fridge since we bought the RV with temps being all over the place. The fridge would vary in temps from 45 degrees to 32 degrees without significant changes in weather outside. The tech pointed out when the original recall was done they cut into the insulation to install the sensor and just tucked the insulation back over the sensor (and not well).

He said that if this was not covered better that the hot air would escape and the fridge would not work correctly and use more power. After he applied the insulation patch and covered the seams with silver duct tape to make it air tight he ask me to listen to the back of the fridge and asked if I had ever heard that? I could hear the ammonia boiling. I had not heard that before.

Since that insulation patch was installed, our fridge is like a new fridge. Stays at a constant 40 degrees and only goes up a few degrees when we open the door and then back to 40 degrees. We carry meds that can't freeze and this is a load off our minds. We also had this unit in at least four dealers asking what was wrong with the fridge. We thought they were all like ours and had quit asking. Simple but very important fix. We had no idea that the insulation seal around the heat elements was so important.

Thanks again Crandall Mobil RV Service. PS: They didn't charge me a dime. The cost was all passed on to Norcold.

I wonder how many other Norcold had improper recall work done and think their fridge is junk? I went to a Seminar in Redmond on Norcolds and it is stated that it must be level, adjusted and all insulation and panels in place. Those recall boxes trip for more reason than just high temperature. Certain odors or electrical problems can make it trip also. I been here in Desert Hot Springs area for over a month with the fridge set at 5 out of nine. It works flawlessly at that setting recall box and all.