Sign in to follow this  
debay

Looking At 2004 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 38PST

Hi,

Been researching the forums for info on this RV. I see a lot about the handling problems, man some 300 pages about the Roadmaster chassis, and so on with the rr4r Roadmaster chassis.

Also, problems with the windshield coming loose would you stay clear of this home also there's 67,000 miles on the clock which not concerned about has the 330 Cummins engine. I called Monaco-- they said there's no recalls on the home but the trail arms and front pan card should be inspected.

Please tell me what you think-- this will be my first RV and I have to stay on budget $50- 60.

Also going for a test ride on Tuesday. It is a private owner.

Any advice on roads to go on and how many miles to test ride. Will be taking in to the Cummins dealer for in inspection and to a Diesel shop to have the tranny and chassis inspected to.

Thanks.

Greg

Greg,

Welcome to the Forum.

Goggle Roadmaster Trailing Arm Recall. There was one for some coaches without tag axle. However since Monaco went into bankruptcy and was then sold two times, the recall is no longer covered. Search the Forum under Chassis for Roadmaster recall. There are a lot of comments and information.

Herman

I have searched the forum and founds lots of information about the chassis called Monaco they said there's no recall on the this coach. Also owners say its not affected there coach but still going to have it checked out. Wondering if these problems are on all the Monaco products in that time production.

Thanks for your insight. Seems like from what I read its some but not all have the handling problems?? Any insight would help need to get this right.

Wolfe 10 I did read that post, and several others about coming up with a fix for that chassis trying to find out if that chassis has bad handling in general???? even without the recall.

Any thoughts on this Rambler will help me make a decision on whether to go through with the purchase they have it priced at $50,000.00

Thanks.

Greg

OK, just went back and read the post looks like all owners are having problems regardless if there's was recalled or not am I correct thinking this?

Debay,

The replacement of the defective-design rear trailing arms with the new design was a 100% fix for that problem.

As to chassis handling, that is highly subjective. Kind of like comparing ride and handling of a Cadillac to a BMW. Very different!

Thanks Wolfe, so what I take from this is regardless of recall they need to be changed out to the new design is that just the back does the front need to be changed to. Thanks Wolfe I am a little slow to catch on sometimes.

Only the back trailing arm design was bad, and that is what would be replaced. On the link above are photos that would allow you to very quickly determine if that coach has the newer design trailing arms.

No front suspension parts were involved in the failures/no front parts require replacement.

Complainers can make you think that all Roadmaster is bad when really only a few had problems. Some expect the steering to be tight as a sport cars when in reality that isn't what is best. A motor coach is a truck with a gearbox not rack and pinion steering. A gearbox is suppose to have a little play in the wheel as mine has about a inch back and forth. There is a few out there that claims that is wandering and way too much play. When they complain online they do so many upgrade and fixes only to find they didn't fix it the way they like. There is a few that replaced the gearbox and tighten it up till satisfied. I don't recommend doing so as too tight of gearbox can bind and lead you into trouble. Bottom line is take the coach you are looking at for a long test drive and see if you like how it handles. I like mine and don't have any handling problems with it.

Thanks Ray, Plan on a long test drive, Told the owner I would pay for the fuel. Also want to take the RV to a Cummins service department and a road suspension shop to have it checked out if he accepts my offer on my dime.

Anything else I should look for Ray, you have a nice looking Rambler. What motor does it have and mileage.

Thanks.

Greg

Debay,

I agree with Ray's comments above. We have a 2008 H/R Ambassador 40SKQ with 38,000 miles. Hydraulic steering with a gear box will have some play. It is not a sports car. Once you get acquainted with the steering and a little "play" it will feel normal when driving. Yes some Roadmaster chassis had issues but they were few and far between. Good luck in your search.

Debay my Ambassador has a ISC 330 and 42,000 miles on it. We had it to Alaska once, cross country twice and and many other places.

Thanks Ray,

Going to check out the rambler this week, Hope the trailing arms have been changed out, and they have good records for maintenance.

Thanks Greg

Do not let the trailing arm issue stop you from buying a coach you otherwise like. Just deduct the price of parts and labor to replace them-- this is a 100% fix.

Want to thank every body one last time, Did not buy the coach yesterday, pictures sure don't tell the story but seeing it in person did. I think we convinced the owners to look into there trailing arms because of this great site and advice. Yesterday I don't think they believed me but I got a email saying thank you and there going to get checked, it could save a life never know.

Thanks Greg