Sign in to follow this  
rlbarkleyii

Who Tows 6K Or More Trailer With 275HP, 2000MH Tranny

I need information from those of you that tow a trailer with your motor home that exceeds six thousand pounds. I am running a 34' Journey with a 275HP Cummins, 2000MH Allison Tranny on a Freightliner XC chassis.

I want to haul a six thousand gross weight tandem axle trailer with a hitch load of 1500#. I plan on using a product such as Trailer Toad which has a axle to reduce the tongue weight to less than 400#.

My concern is the Allison 2000MH transmission, which I think is the weak link. I would like to know about the experience of others pulling trailers in excess of 6K with the Allison 2000MH tranny, and a 275HP diesel on flat land. Also any comments about Trailer Toad or similar products would be appreciated.

I don't need anyone to address the gross weight, insurance and legal issues, been there done that.

Installing a transmission temp gauge before the fluid goes into the cooler should tell if you are overworking the transmission. You can consult Allison about the maximum operating temperature they recommend and go from there. Add extra cooling capacity or a larger pan.

Generally speaking, the only time you really need to be watchful is climbing long hills.