Sign in to follow this  
BennieH

2003 Cummins Coolant Question

We just purchased a 2003 Monaco Camelot in December and I am trying to figure out the coolant for it. I have not looked at the color, etc. as it is stored at the dealers until March.

Is there a test lab that I can use to send a sample so I can decide if/what needs to done to maintain it or if it is time to change it. If it is time for the change, I plan on switching to OAT coolants.

Thanks

Bennie, The kind of coolant and possible additives depends on the engine series and if it has sleeved cylinders.

You mentioned that it is a Cummins, but is it a ISB ISC or ISL?

You can purchase test strips from Cummings for the coolant.

Rich.

Some clarification.

Yes, there are test strips for "regular diesel coolant". "Regular diesel coolant is low silicate with added SCA (Supplemental Cooling Additive). The SCA is a sacrificial element that is used up to protect the cylinder walls. It's concentration is tested for and more SCA added. Ideal concentration is 1200 PPM. Normal shelf life for the test strips is 6 months.

Sadly, difficult to find the test strips in small quantities. For example, Wix Corp PN 24105 contains individual packets each containing 4 strips. But the box contains enough to test all the coaches small rally. If you will be at the Pomona FMCA Convention, I present the Caterpillar Engine Maintenance Seminar. And always have for sale the 4 packs of strips-- $5. These test strips test for: SCA concentration, freeze point and pH. All important attributes of coolant.

Now, the bad news-- test strips designed for regular diesel coolant do NOT work on the new generation OAT-based coolant. Totally different chemistry.

My strong advice unless you know both the age and kind of coolant in your "new to you" coach is to change it now. If you do go to the new generation coolant as you suggest, assuming it is changed correctly you do NOTHING-- no testing or adding of anything for 6 years (unless you drive over 300,000 miles during that time in which case you add a small bottle of booster). This is double the recommended change interval for regular diesel coolant which also requires testing and addition of SCA.

Bennie, I am going through the same concern as you, I called Cummins for My 2002 ISL I was told to use Fleetgard ES Compleat.

Funny story...the aftermarket cross over does not meet the pH or alkalinity standards set by Cummins, in fact I could not find one that met the Cummins requirements in all areas... so I just bought the stuff at our local Cummins engine dealer, I plan on changing it out in two weeks. For a couple of dollars savings it just is not worth the risk of damaging such an expensive engine.

Good luck

Wolfe,

Does your advice also apply to my 2005 Cat 400hp in our 2005 Newmar?

Yes, applies to all larger diesel engines.

If you will be in Pomona at the Convention-- come to the Caterpillar Engine Maintenance Seminar-- we will go over this in detail as it can be confusing.

I'm in the camp that says the engine is way too expensive to tinker with the coolant, lubricant, etc. I take mine to the manufacturer and let them test and assess the coolant, filters, etc. Yes, it is expensive but the engine is way more expensive and I want it to last. If in doubt, change it out. Belts, filters, coolant, anything else is a minor expense compared to replacing the engine.

I'm in the camp that says the engine is way too expensive to tinker with the coolant, lubricant, etc. I take mine to the manufacturer and let them test and assess the coolant, filters, etc. Yes, it is expensive but the engine is way more expensive and I want it to last. If in doubt, change it out. Belts, filters, coolant, anything else is a minor expense compared to replacing the engine.

I couldn't agree with this post any more than the way you put it. Well said!