larryeckhardt

Roof A/C Shuts Off When Compressor Starts

I am new to the forum. I have a 2003 Beaver Monterey and the ac units are Penguin heat pumps. My front unit when set on cool comes on momentarily (fan comes on) then shuts off about the time the compressor should start.

Is this the symptom of a start capacitor failure?

Larry,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Yes, it certainly could be. But, start by verifying that you have adequate voltage at the A/C. If voltage sags badly, it can also cause a no-start.

If you are safe working around 120 VAC and are familiar with discharging capacitors, indeed go up and check. Many times bad capacitors will have leaked and "look" bad.

It is certainly a relatively inexpensive item compared with an A/C unit.

I was pressed for time between trips so I took the Beaver to an independent repair facility. The system repeated the symptoms for the technician, so he "reset the thermostat". After running the ac for several hours, everything checked out normal. It pulled 13 amps while running and was putting out 45 degree air with ambient temperature at 80. The reset procedure was to have the thermostat off and then hold the mode and zone buttons while turning the thermostat back on and holding the buttons for about 5 seconds. I was charged one hour labor to learn how to reset the unit. Live and learn!

Just to think, when someone said they had to REBOOT, it use to mean that he was going to Cavinders for a new pair of Justins.

(Thanks Larry that is some good information)

Herman

If it happens to me I will not remember this. Reboot the cell phone, darn electronic.

Murphys law...my luck, this will happen in the middle of the night when its 100 degrees outside. :)

Ray, I wrote it down and I am going to put it in the coach file for the heating system. I read that book front to back and I do not rememmber reading this.

Thank you for the good information Larry.