JUDIELARRY@YAHOO.COM

Bad Diesel Fuel

The distance from my tank to the engine is about the same as on your Holiday Rambler. Don't they normally have side radiators by the way? I got in to much of a hurry when we bought ours. Garage kept, lows miles, and great shape. Wish I had done more research. Would have settled for nothing less than a coach with a side radiator.

Brett's comment about Racor Filters coming in a variety of forms got me curious. Hit their site. Wow! I had the big 1000FG on a number of trucks over the years. Very easy to service and drain under the hood of a big rig. I still have a hard time dealing with the shortcomings of DPs when I compare their cost to a new really durable Pete, KW, or Freightshaker. What good does all of the glitz do you when you waiting along the interstate for a tow or a service truck?

I will probably mount a Racor unit just behind the fuel tank with a shutoff valve between the filter and the engine. Perhaps that will save prime. Just hope the engine transfer pump can handle the extra restriction. I will have one there before we leave for the west this summer. By the way/Power Service disperses water, and they have been around for a long time.

Be sure to put only ONE filter between the tank and lift pump.

So fuel tank, primary filter/water separator with course filter (10-30 micron), lift pump, secondary fuel filter (fine element 2-5 micron depending on engine specs) then engine or injector pump.

post-39881-0-96824700-1429898906.pngpost-39881-0-87948200-1429898934.pngObedb, my coach has a Fleetguard FS1015 separator before the lift pump with a clear bowl on the bottom (and a one way check valve on the housing between the tank and pump) and a Fleetguard FS1022 after the lift pump(before the injection pump)

And I hear you on the rear radiator, as much as I like keeping things simple the side mounted fan does help when you are performing maintenance or a repair. It's a toss-up, side mounted you lose storage and more things to go wrong, rear mounted more difficult to work on. I am sure your unit is as bad as mine to get underneath and my Roadmaster chassis jack stand locations are always in your way, every time I crawl under it which is an entire process to prep for I always end up talking to myself with some choice words, on a good note it reminds me why I left the new truck dealership 12 years ago that use to work on these daily :D .

Racor makes a great filter, I have cut many of each open and the Racor, Donaldson, and Fleetguard (might all be made by Racor, I'm not sure) were all constructed with attention to detail inside and Racor is the OEM filter manufacture for a few automobile manufactures with strict requirements.

Joe

Does the separator also have a vent that allows draining water from the bowl without having to break vacuum by partially unscrewing the filter? The check valve in the base would be a help as long as it doesn't add a lot of restriction. I had a shutoff valve on my Series 60 that had to be closed before filter change or the truck would start and run long enough to get out of the bay. Then bring out the ether.

The Separator has a water drain on the bottom but not a vent, I have drained it once for a few water beads and did not need to loosen the filter, it just gargled a bit. There is also a port with a plug for a water sensor if your application requires one, mine does not on the separator.

The check valve in built into the 90 degree elbow where my line in connects, very simple just a butterfly valve with a seal on the flap and a small spring to apply pressure.