crb13563

Onan Service Calling For Inverter To Be Replaced. $$$$

Is anyone aware any other options or have other recommendations? This is a pricey task and wanted to verify before giving the approval to proceed.

Generator runs fine, but shuts down after 10 minutes.

crb13563,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Please let us know what generator and inverter you have.

And, what are the symptoms.

crb13563,

And, welcome also!

Could you post the service information for the group. When where the filters,oil,fuel filter engine oil and coolant changed ?

Are there any codes you are reading?

What is the states of the coolant level? Have you just changed it? If you just changed the coolant there is the possibility of an air bubble in the coolant system-you might need to burp the system.

The other possibility is the Spark Arrester needs to be cleaned.

Manuals-981-0160=Owners Manual

981-0200D=Parts Manual

981-0522B=Service Manual

Model number 8HDKAK (1145C)?

What inverter is installed in your coach as per Brett's post ?

Question- Does the inverter work when connected to shore power?

Rich.

Generator worked fine until the end of last year, then it stopped running. Runs fine for ten minutes then shuts down. Coolant is topped off. Oil and oil filter just been changed 3/29/15. Getting code 13 - inverter under voltage. This is the inverter on the generator, not the coach inverter. The service person is telling me the last part of model number is 11454C. Thanks,

Code 13- Check all the battery connections and grounds / check battery conditions(of all the batteries)

How old are the batteries? for both the coach and the chassis?

This code is set when when the regulator can not sense the proper voltage. What are the voltages when the generator is not running and what are the voltages with the generator running?

Would be good to check all the battery hydrometer readings.

Rich.

The service is calling to replace the inverter on the generator, which is very pricey. Plus we have an older model coach(98) that the generator has to be removed from the coach, would you suggest/recommend replacing the inverter?

The service is calling to replace the inverter on the generator, which is very pricey. Plus we have an older model coach(98) that the generator has to be removed from the coach, would you suggest/recommend replacing the inverter?

First - Eliminate the possibility of battery issues(All Connections) Typically the generators start off the Chassis batteries, but the start circuit could be connected to the coach batteries.

The fact that your coach is a 1998 - there is a good potability of a defective ground connection for the starting circuit. The common practice is to use the chassis frame rails for the ground circuit. These connections tend to get very rusty over time and it would be less expensive to repair a connection or replace some wire or connectors then to R and R(Remove and Replace) the generator with a new circuit board, parts and labor.

Should R and R not cure the problem and there are bad connections or batteries, you would still have to add that item to the repair cost.

Has the service center checked all the Generator DC circuits to make sure they are in order?

Ask what the starting voltage is at the generator when starting, and what the resistance readings are between the generator DC starting connections and the battery connections for the starting power supply.

One could have the service center disconnect connect the battery used to start the generator at the generator and jump in/connect a battery to the starter connections. Start and run the generator to see if the issue still is present. Have them test the system this way outside where you can see them run the test.

If the problem still exists then you need to make a decision.

13 code is related to charging circuit and yes it could be a defective board , But the fact that it runs for 10 min.. could mean there is a defective board - that has issues only after it heats up or there is some other issue.

This test should narrow down the possibilities.

Note- They should be able to easily monitor the battery voltage level this way and you can also see the test results directly.

I like to eliminate any and all possibilities before spending what will be a considerable amount.

Hope my thoughts help you decide what way to go /

Rich.

That is a very expensive unit - appears to be about $8000 - and is an inverter type. 8 KW inverters are not cheap so I would expect replacement of the inverter section to be costly. I would compare the cost to repair to the cost for a new one to decide what to do.

You download/view the manual HERE It shows the fault codes and explains how to read them, There are several for inverter faults.

I certainly appreciate all the feedback and words of wisdom on this topic in the last 24 hours. I wanted to get a second opinion before deciding to spend this amount of money, but this is an expensive hobby. I'm proceeding to have it repaired and will let you know the results once repairs are completed. Thanks for your wisdom and experience.

I don't think batteries used to start the genset have anything to do with this problem. If the code 13 appeared during cranking it would apply, but this genset starts and runs. A code 13 after the genset starts & runs awhile basically says the inverter in the genset isn't putting out the right voltage, so the regulator shuts the engine down to prevent possile damage. That would indeed seem to indicate a bad inverter.

That said, it only takes a few minutes to check the battery that starts the genset. Worthwhile checking, just to be sure.

The HDKAK 8000 watt inverter is a relative recent model. What year and model coach is it in?

The Coach is a 1998 Odessa Overland Lorado. The Service Technician had removed the generator from the coach and the codes were received on the unit stand alone, not connected to the coach. Thanks,

As Rich pointed out, check the battery and cables. Fault code 13 tells to do this step according to the manual. I would certainly try a good battery with clean connections before committing to an inverter replacement. Good luck with this.