RoryTug

Performance Chips for Gassers

Anyone with experience on using performance chips with the F53 Chassis such as Banks IQ or the Bully Dog? All the reviews I find never mention Motorhomes. Fancy guage or do they work?

Rory,

Take a look at the cost of the Banks chips and may other items they have. Then figure how long it would take you to recoup the cost by the small increase in mileage. This is not a slam on Banks, they are a great company.

Herman

I agree with Herman about add ons, they are pretty expensive. Proper driving habits cost nothing extra and can save a lot of money, if not already following this rule.

Kay

Roy, I think improving air flow and exhaust improvements may help. The big improvement on the V10 is a chip that helps to control the shift points and reduces "hunting" between gears.

http://www.5startuning.com/got-a-v10-6-8l/

The modern engines are computer controlled and have fuel injection. The improvements available aren't as big as they use to be.

I like Banks products to and have added The IQ but I have a diesel and so it is not a direct comparison. You might look at Banks water injection as an aid when pulling hard. You need to tell what engine you have.

http://bankspower.com/products/show/474/59

Bill

I don't have the Ford chassis, but I can tell you on my Workhorse I just had the Ultrapower ECM upgrade done along with magnum plug wires and iridium plugs. All I can say is wow, what a difference in power and torque. Also had Koni shocks installed and we have really noticed the ride difference.

Rorytug, I had the Banks Power pack on our last coach (Class C Ford with the V10) while it did accelerate and pull stronger I didn't notice any fuel economy benefits, if anything it might have gotten worse.

The Banks transmission programmer (Transcommand) paired up with a Bullydog deep aluminum pan was a huge improvement on my transmission temperature. Depending on the year of your coach you may only benefit from the deeper transmission pan. Let me clarify; if you have a 5 speed automatic with a tow haul button the programmer I doubt will do much for shift improvements and I am not sure it is even offered for that transmission (5R110 model), Ford had that model dialed in nice already.

We had the older 4 speed (4R100 model) that would hunt for the right gear often and had a sloppy shift into each gear.

If I had to do it all over I would have made the changes to the transmission and saved the rest of the money spent to put in the tank and hit the road.

Thanks all. It does seem a bit gadgety to me. It would explain the lack of reviews for motor homes on the product pages. Still, the eye candy keeps drawing me in. I don't find the coach lacking power (for a gasser) except for the steepest of grades and I am still passing big rigs while pulling 4300 pounds. My trans and engine temps never waiver. My chasis is 2011 and I think it is true I would get only small gains.