We have recently bought a class A motorhome and are looking for a tow car my husband will fit in comfortably. He's 6'8" which makes it tricky for a lot of vehicles for us.

We have seen several rigs towing MINI Coopers and I have been looking online and it appears that it's a similar situation to many vehicles with manual transmissions. The companies don't recommend towing them 4 wheels down, but you can and people do.

Any suggestions as to whether this is a terrible idea to tow a manual trans MINI Cooper, as it fits 6'9" comfortably and our children.

Hi,

I have a 2002 Mini Cooper S manual transmission that I have been towing all four down for the past four years behind my class A and I have not had any problems. I use the Brake Buddy and the only problem I had was the attachment that goes around the brake pedal kept coming loose so I cut a heaver piece of polyurethane and drilled a hole through the piece and also through the brake pedal and attached the piece to the pedal with a bolt & nut and it solved the problem.

The only other thing I might mention is I had to use a hitch drop down adapter and you need to watch going in and out of some drives as the adapter tends to bottom out on steeper driveways.

Hope this helps.

Anyone towing a 4 wheel drive countryman mini??

I too am interested in buying/towing a Mini. I stopped by the Mini dealer and was told Mini expressly states their AWD (any year) and either with an Automatic or a manual transmission, cannot be flat towed.

Bob

We're working with a dealer to purchase a brand new Mini Cooper Hardtop 4-door with 6-speed manual trans to tow behind our new Class C. While the manual says no the thousands of folks already doing it say Yes to me. Plus, Blue Ox even has a new baseplate just for the 2015 Hardtop model.

Here's an email I received from Blue Ox just the other day:

Thank you for contacting us. Yes, the BX1308 is for a 2015 Mini Countryman and the BX1307 is for a 2015 Mini Convertible (including s). I have included the instructions for both of these baseplates, we are still in the processing of updating our website with the corrected instructions. We do have a baseplate for the 2015 Mini Cooper Hardtop (including S and 4 door) it is BX1312. The BX1312 is not available in stores at this time, since it was since in our factory last week, but it should be available by mid-July. If you have any questions please let me know.

We have a 2011 Countryman S All4. We tow it on a car trailer, since it cannot be flat towed. I cannto be towed with the car hauler type, since it has drive shafts on the rear wheels. I have talked to two dealers in Michigan, and they say that stick shift mini's can be towed with the car hauler type front wheels up as an "official response" but both acknowledge that they have customers who flat tow manual shift models. MINI factory states NO towing other than car hauler is accepted on manual. NO hauling on automatics, trailer only.

I wish there were more information on this subject, since we may upgrade to a Countryman S manual shift, if we could flat tow it. If so, who installs the Blue Ox near Michigan Indiana area?

tmoore54,

Welcome To the Forum.

Two wheel drive vehicles with rear wheel drive may be towed 4 down. You can have a drive shaft disconnect installed.

Remco Engineering makes a disconnect to fit most rear wheel drives.

Give them a call.

Herman

Thanks for that Herman. I would like to know who installs the Blue Ox baseplate? I got online, and saw some youtube video of how to do it myself, but it looks too complicated, and I do not have the tools to do it. Anyone know?

When I was considering a mini for a toad, I got on Blue Ox's site and found they only make a base plate for certain model years of the Mini. As to installation, most any RV repair shop can install them. Bob

I spoke with Roadmaster's head of R&D yesterday and they have approved the development and marketing of a base plate and attachments for the 2016 MINI Clubman S w/MT. According to their representative we spoke with Production is commencing as I write this and the baseplate will be available in the coming weeks.. I mention this as we really want to purchase a Clubman to flat tow behind our MH.

That said, we are seeking advice/recommendations on the absolute best brake systems we should consider purchasing & having installed on the Clubman (hopefully a type that can be semi-permanently installed such that it will not require removal each time we want to drive the car). Appreciate any advice we can get from fellow members.