Sign in to follow this  
wellsie

Broken Handle On Basement Compartment

We have a basement compartment with a broken handle and the bay is locked.

The bay is on the passenger side so we can't access it through the other side.

2000 Safari Zanzibar

If you add the year and model of your motor home it would help. There are many different designs for doors and latches.

wellsie,

As Tom said, many sizes, shapes and configurations. Here is mine.

Several of my compartment doors, when unlatched pull out and up. There are two post at the top and a "U" bolt bottom center. Several times on different doors the plunger in the latch broke. The latch pin was made of plastic, When the plunger would brake it would not move. The top of the door would release but not the bottom.The "U" bolt was secured with a 1/4-20 nut on each side. They can be accesed through the top (long arms required) by pulling the top out and reaching down to the nuts. It is not easy but can be done if you don't have access to the compartment from both sides of the coach.

If this it the type of latch you have, might I suggest that when you are able to open the door to contact RB Machining/RV Div. You my find their ad in the Product Connection section of the Family Motor Coaching magazine. They make a very reasonable replacement latch with an aluninum plunger. I would replace every compartment door that has that type of latch with the aluminum plunger latch.

Hopes this helps,

Herman

Most latches have screws that goes through to the a plate on the back side if you can get to it. Take the screws out of the back plate and remove the latch through the front. Then you can remove the broken plunger.

With the information about your coach, I would suggest that you contact Monaco Customer Service 877-466-6226. Talk to someone in tech service to get their advice. I know that we had a similar problem with the water compartment door on our coach. We were making a stop at the factory service center in Coburg, OR and asked them to fix it. They were able to pry the door open enough to insert a tool from the side and release the latch. Our door had a single center plunger so it may not work if you have several latch points. I don't know what kind of tool they used and I don't know exactly where they applied the pressure to release the latch. If that won't work, they may have other information on how best to attack the problem.

Ours did the same thing last week.

Was able to push the latch in with a plastic spoon handle and get it open. Removed the Broken Plastic latch piece. Found one on E-Bay $8 bucks. Amazon has them.

Bill