Sign in to follow this  
buzzw43

Generator Glitch In '03 Gulfstream

I attempted to start the generator in my 03 Gulfstream this afternoon and all I got was a click when I pushed the start button. Sounded like I had maybe blown a circuit. I went inside to check and found I had no power inside the motorhome. The refrigerator was not functioning.

I went to the front of the rig and started it up. I was then able to initiate the generator. After shutting the rig down and the generator down I again had no power inside the coach. When I plug in I have full power.

Checked batteries-- they have a full charge. Check d_c inverter all fuses are good. All circuit breakers functioning.

Checked gfci's, they are functioning as well. Line is I either have to have my rig on or be plugged in to have power inside my coach. Does anyone have any thoughts on my dilemma?

I am currently on the road and concerned about continued driveability without creating any more problems.

buzzw43,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Just need some clarification - Sounds like you tried to start the generator without the coach running, when you heard a click!

Then there was no power inside the coach- Where you missing the 12 Volts at this time?

Then it sounds like you started the coach engine OK and then where able to start the generator - with the coach running you have 12 Volts? With the Generator running do you have 12 volts?

Now, without the coach or the generator running you do not have 12volts-- correct?

If that is the case then there is a high current fuse mounted near the inverter or batteries that supply 12 volts to the coach circuits that might have blown.

Is your coach equipped with a disconnect / salesman switch / relay circuit?

Rich.

My diesel Onan does make a very light clicking sound when preheating the glow plugs. It is more noticeable when you slide the gen out and start it with the onboard starter switch.

My diesel Onan does make a very light clicking sound when preheating the glow plugs. It is more noticeable when you slide the gen out and start it with the onboard starter switch.

Quite likely you are hearing the electric fuel pump-- very normal.