epstep

Issues Hooking Up Fuse Bypass On 2014 CR V

I got my 13" fuse bypass to hook up on my 2014 Honda CR V. While trying to connect the leads to the fuse block ( fuse 19) the ends keep slipping out of the fuse holder. I have tried it once to many times now the end broke off. The fuse box isn't in the most desirable location. Any way I was just wondering if someone else experienced this issue and what they did to rectify it

Attached you can see the bypass cable as well as my issue with the ends ( they broke off).

post-43839-0-94089400-1432810356_thumb.j

post-43839-0-07842400-1432810360_thumb.j

I can't help you attach it; we had ours done.

Here is my question: We plug our auxiliary brake into the cigarette lighter. It doesn't work if the switch (fuse) is turned off. So we must leave the switch (fuse) on. Having the fuse switch installed was a waste of money.

Does anyone know anything more on this issue?

Mike

Mike, you may want to consider a charge wire from your motorhome to your toad, or you can run 12 volts from the motorhome to an auxiliary cigarette lighter plug, which can be laid into the toad, or use a battery pack with lighter plug, and recharge when not in use.

While I like the idea of a large-gauge (8 or larger) charge wire from coach to toad, be careful to check your auxiliary brake specs for amp draw. I can see the auxiliary brake's high amp, short duration power consumption dropping voltage to where brake performance is compromised if it relies on power only from the long charge wire.

Better to use the wire from the coach to keep the battery in the toad charged and use the toad battery as an "electrical reservoir" to power the brake.

I don't pull the fuse and have never had a problem with the battery going down. The longest I have traveled in a day was from Washington DC to RI and that was about 7 hours. If you feel nervous about having the battery go dead you can always start the car at your lunch stop. You can probably find a replacement or a better connector for your fuse switch at most car parts stores.

Bill

I recently purchased a toad battery charger from RVi Brake. It keeps my toad battery charged and provides power for the braking system without removing fuses. Mikey

While I like the idea of a large-gauge (8 or larger) charge wire from coach to toad, be careful to check your auxiliary brake specs for amp draw. I can see the auxiliary brake's high amp, short duration power consumption dropping voltage to where brake performance is compromised if it relies on power only from the long charge wire.

Better to use the wire from the coach to keep the battery in the toad charged and use the toad battery as an "electrical reservoir" to power the brake.

Brett, I was perusing these articles because of a problem towing our 2014 Ford Explorer. After towing a few hours, I noticed our battery in toad was very weak. I decided to run a line from our house batteries (located at drivers side rear of our 2004 39' Fleetwood Providence) to our toad batteries. I thought the typical trailer type connection #18 wire connector would be good to use because it was quick disconnect without having to open hood and would be big enough to simply maintain the charge of our toad battery. I put a 15 amp fuse on each side of the connection. In any event, my toad batteries still die after a few hours of towing which is very perplexing to me.

I just read where you are suggesting a #8 wire to connect the motor home batteries to the toad batteries. This seems like a very large wire to me, but wonder if that is why I am not having any luck with my current setup i.e. existing wire to small even though fused. I sort of thought if the #18 wire was too small, it would blow the fuse. Since fuses are not being blown I must be on the wrong track. Do you think the #18 wire is too small to maintain the toad batteries. I also notice overnight the house batteries will charge the toad batteries very well which must be because no braking action is taking place (admittedly I use my heavy duty jumper cables attached at night.) I have also heard of some kind of knife switch folks use to simply disconnect ground side of their toad battery to prevent battery discharge while towing. Have you heard of such a thing? Many thanks in advance. Paul

In a word, yes, 18 gauge wire along with all the connections (two fuses, quick disconnect, connection at both batteries) is too small to charge a toad battery.

Bigger IS better.