Sign in to follow this  
SandyF

Replacing Fabric: Day Night Shades On Tiffin 32LA

Hello,

I am new to the FMCA but not to RV'ing. Been enjoying the sport for over 30 years. My current coach is a 2008 Tiffin 32LA (FRED).

I am in the process of replacing my fabric Day/ Night shades with MCD Innovations pull down shades. I ordered a shade for one window to see if we like them and we do. What an improvement!

My issue is once I remove the old shade from the valance I cannot get the new shade installed in the space behind the valance. I worked on one shade for over an hour and finally gave up, preferring to remove the valance and install the shade in the valance when it was removed. I then screwed the valance to the cabinet above and the L clips to the wall.

This worked OK, but my concern is when I install the shades where the valance does not attach to the cabinet above, only to the wall. Not sure how to attach the valance to the wall with the shade in there?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks

I thought you were supposed to install the shade clips in the valance and snap the shade in place last.

I made all new valances out of maple wood to match our cabinets which you may not want to do. But where I could not screw into cabinet above, I used pocket hole screws in the top. Pocket hole screws are self threading and will screw into the walls even there is a metal sheet in the lamination. Kreg makes a jig you can use to make the angled pocket holes in the valance to use pocket hole screws. Some of their jigs are high price, but a single clamp on is under $50 or less.

2008 Tiffin coaches, at least Allegros and Phaetons, valances are not deep enough to accommodate MCD shades. They need to be extended out from the wall about an inch, more or less.

When I had my Day/Nite shades on my 2008 Phaeton replaced with roller shades at the Tiffin Service Center in Red Bay, the Tech made pieces covered with the proper fabric to move the valances out from the wall. Worked very well and we were glad to be rid of the day/nites!