Sign in to follow this  
BearAndMoon

Fires In California

Question

We're headed south in two weeks, into what a friend laughingly referred to as Calinferno.

A state of emergency was declared in California this week by Governor Brown, due to the wildfires, many of which are still raging out of control.

So, I was wondering, is there anyone that may have had plans to head south and changed their destinations due to the ongoing drought and subsequent fires?

6 answers to this question

Opposite for us. We are heading North. Presently in Port Hueneme, CA. We'll be traveling the 101.

Any information on that route would be appreciated. Gong all the way to Whidbey Island, WA.

You will be passing right by us. We are on the baby island surrounded by Whidbey call Camano Island. We have a drought here this year since last winter. The weeds are even dying as the area is slowly turning into a desert.

Stop at the Tillamook Cheese Factory in Tillamook, OR then stop at Long Beach, WA to visit the longest beach in the U.S..

Wayne,

A favorite for us on or near 101 is the Redwoods area in northern CA. We also love Astoria, OR. For some exercise you can climb the Astoria Column! They have a great Marine Museum that features the Columbia River and the navigation challenges it presents for ships entering and leaving the river. A short detour out of Portland to the east will take you up the Columbia Gorge. There is a smaller highway just off Interstate 84, labeled on my map program the Historic Columbia River Road. It is a great car drive, you can make many stops along the route, one waterfall after another coming off the northern slopes of Mt.Hood to the Columbia River. Multnomah Falls is one of the most famous.

Our daughter and her family have a summer home near Elkton, OR. We visited them last year in October, likely be there again this October. Just north of the Umpqua River is the town of Gardner, a nice place to visit with shops and restaurants. Just south of there is Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. We stayed at a campground just a few miles south of the Umpquah River that is nestled into the dunes, right on 101, can't find the name right now. You can rent 4 wheelers to explore the dunes or take a tour with a tour operator in that area.

Hwy 101 through Oregon and Washington will be slow (curves and hills) in spots but well worth the time spent. Not all who wander are lost! Enjoy the trip.

This will be something of a "Gypsy" year for us. We bought this thing to live and travel in. We both grew up in California, me in the SF bay area, while she was in the Mojave desert and central coast area. The fire up near the lake saddens me, though having spent many summers water skiing up there it does not surprise me in the least.

"The Fire Season" has grown in the past decade, and the places we want to go are amongst some of the driest.

On the one hand, they El Nino forming off the pacific coast portends a very wet winter, which would bring other problems to our not very defined route.

I guess not too many folks are concerned about it all, the better parks down in California are all booked up.....

A friend has a place in Groveland Ca. with a full hook up space for us, but man, it is a tinder box in the sierras right now....