manholt

Wheel Bearings

Good morning!

Woke up wondering how often or at what mileage, should the bearings be checked, replaced or repacked?

Carl

With oil bath bearings, here is my recommendation:

Look for signs of leakage on standard walkaround-- trails of oil or dirt radiating from the center of the wheel to the outside. Leaks from the inner seal are harder to see, as they drip on the inside of the wheel/brake components. Any smell of gear lube is a giveaway of a problem.

Once a month or so pop the center can and check visually for oil level and any sign of contamination (anything but clear gear oil).

Change fluid every couple of years. I use a 30 year old hand transmission pump to suck out the old oil. Put in new. Repeat after driving. I find this a lot easier than trying to use the drain and hoping that it will not leak.

As far as gear lube viscosity, go with your axle manufacturer's recommendation for your temperature range. Because a quart will easily to both fronts, it is worth going with a synthetic gear lube.

Brett, do you recommend changing over to oil if you have grease packed?

Don't think I would to this a PREVENTIVE maintenance because of the cost. But, if you have to remove the hub for any reason, I would sure consider doing it. Probably 90% of the OTR trucks and trailers use oil bath lubed bearings.

Yea, that was the reason I was considering changing over, plus the routine maintenance is much easier.

We run all oil at work on tractors; the trailers are 75% grease 25% oil. Neither are a problem either way just the maintenance is easier plus there is a fuel economy benefit with oil, minimal but still there.

Thanks Brett

Is there any adjustments to wheel bearings? While having my coach serviced the mechanics said one of the bearings was loose and he adjusted it? I always thought they were something that had to be replaced.

Absolutely wheel bearings may need adjustment. And, a dial indicator is needed for DP-size wheels. General specs are .001-.005" play.

Brett.

After walk around and sniff test, all seems to be OK. Don't have any records from original owners, so for peace of mind, I will have the grease replaced in Amarillo on my way to Indiana! The same applies to adjustment of bearings.

Not just the front, also steering axle and tag.

As always, thanks for the info.

Carl