j0newman

Jerks While Rolling

I have a 1995 Pace Arrow on a Ford Chassis that's about to turn 100K. When in stop and go traffic with the coach rolling slowly it jerks periodically in sync with the rotation of the wheel. Slow down and the period is drawn out. Speed up and it becomes more rapid.

I recently installed a TPMS with temperature reporting. After driving for a couple hours last week I got a high temp alarm (167 degrees) on the front passenger side tire. Do you think the symptoms are related? Ideas about root cause?

Thanks in advance!

Quite likely the front right brake caliper is not releasing. A common issue unless you have cleaned and lubed the caliper slide area recently. Any auto parts house should have caliper slide grease.

If overheated, you need to make sure that the disk and caliper as well as pads are OK. If you need to replace pads, be sure to do both fronts.

Thanks Brett. Makes perfect sense for the overheating problem. Are you thinking that the jerking is a warped rotor coming in contact with a pad? The jerking really is rythmic and probably corresponds to every 360 degree rotation of the wheel. And it happens whether or not the brakes are applied and whether or not the coach is under power.

If you haven't had your wheel bearings repacked recently I would check them too. Lack of grease will cause overheating too. We had that problem last winter with our E350 Ford class C with only 32,000 miles on it. We had just bought it, fourth owner, so we didn't know the maintenance history.

Good luck, Sam

Also check for out of round tire as similar symptoms. If brake rotors are out of round you will feel it more when stopping that's not saying a caliper isn't sticking. Since you are reaching 100K the front wheel bearings should be also closely inspected and repacked with fresh grease.

Easy check raise the tire off the ground and rotate it by hand. You should be able to feel any drag from the brakes. Huffypuff had a good suggestion.

Bill