Sign in to follow this  
dmastroluca

Shaky Rearview Mirror

Just bought this rig and drove it at night for the first time. The passenger rearview mirror is shaking real bad inside the housing. I was very nervous passing other vehicles because the headlights looked like white laser pointers bouncing around. It was making it pretty hard to judge the distance for safe passing. I compared the movement of the driver side mirror with my fingers, and there is definitely more play in the passenger mirror.

Is there any way to get inside the whole housing to see if something needs to be tightened or replaced?

Again, this is the regular mirror above the wide eye mirror.

Thanks.

Thanks Rich, but that is for a vibrating arm, not just the glass mirror.

I have an update. I called Velvac tech support and explained the issue. They said the glass part of the mirror has to be removed, and I have to check two things.

1. Loose screws on the plate connecting the mirror to the motors. Cost = $0.00

2. One or more of the motor rings are broken. Cost = $65.00

Since I got a #!%* of a deal on the coach, I am guessing I will get the more expensive one:(

The guy at Velvac tech support was great. They even have tech documents on their website that shows you how to remove the mirrors as well as replacing any broken parts. I will update this post with pictures when I go inside the mirror to see what's up. Thanks again.

UPDATE: Lucked out on this one. It was loose, but it was not because of the mounting hardware. There is a foil, double backed alumimun tape sticker that has the heating wires in it. The shaking was caused by a portion of the tape that stopped sticking to the mirror. I took the mirror off, cleaned it, and then used mirror epoxy to re-attach it to the heating element. A $5 tube of mirror adhesive and about a hour of labor. The mirror is steady as a rock now.