arkietraveler

When To Replace Tires

Ok I want some input here and I too believe all said and have followed the dictums of 7 year change. I want this question answered by all of you so I have the ammo to argue with when I talk to the dealer where I just bought my preferred coach, a 1999 Safari Continental Panther with 11,200 honest miles on it. It still has the original Goodyears on it in fine shape. There is apparently no visable fracturing on the sidewalls or tread. This coach was stored inside a climate controlled warehouse and appears new. Its overall condition is stellar as the mileage indicates. The tire size is 275 R70 22.5 16 ply. I have had another Safari owner and friend between me and the dealer so far. He has inspected the rubber and confirms their condition. What say you all???

What is the date code on the tire. That is the important question not how they look. Please go read the thread above this guy might have 10 year old tire and he is being recommended to change them before going any where. Now if you have original tires they would be 15+ years old. You think it is a nice coach right? You can do many,many thousands of dollars damage if a tire blows out if it doesn't result in a crash. What is the date code on the tire.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Bill

Ok I want some input here and I too believe all said and have followed the dictums of 7 year change. I want this question answered by all of you so I have the ammo to argue with when I talk to the dealer where I just bought my preferred coach, a 1999 Safari Continental Panther with 11,200 honest miles on it. It still has the original Goodyears on it in fine shape. There is apparently no visable fracturing on the sidewalls or tread. This coach was stored inside a climate controlled warehouse and appears new. Its overall condition is stellar as the mileage indicates. The tire size is 275 R70 22.5 16 ply. I have had another Safari owner and friend between me and the dealer so far. He has inspected the rubber and confirms their condition. What say you all???

IMO the most important area of the tire for long term durability, assuming you NEVER operate the tires below the minimum needed to support the load, is internal to the tire belt edge. This is about 1/2" deep inside the shoulder of the tire (tread edge). This area cannot be inspected without X-Ray type inspection called Shearography which is $$$.

If you want to learn a bit about how a real inspection is completed watch these two videos.

Video 1

Video 2

Now I suppose you could find a truck tire retread shop and pay to have the tire inspected as if it were to be retreaded. If those inspectors approved your tires for retread then you could be fairly confident the tire structure is sound. I have never heard of a retread shop being set-up for "retail" tire inspection and of course you would need to have all your tires de-mounted for the few hours it would take for the inspection, then have tire tires, if OK re-mounted.

I am fairly confident it may be more cost effective to just get new tires.

I have a 2009 Sunova 35J. I have weighed it front, back, left, right and 4corners. I have 37k miles on the rig and the tires. I had a blowout at 12,000 miles on a front tire, changed both, so those are actually only 26k miles. I see no issues. I keep inflation at the proper level. I own a number of trucks and usually run on the light trucks 50k and the heavier truck closer to 100k. I plan to look at the tires very carefully, but right now I plan on at least two more years.

I have a 2009 Sunova 35J. I have weighed it front, back, left, right and 4corners. I have 37k miles on the rig and the tires. I had a blowout at 12,000 miles on a front tire, changed both, so those are actually only 26k miles. I see no issues. I keep inflation at the proper level. I own a number of trucks and usually run on the light trucks 50k and the heavier truck closer to 100k. I plan to look at the tires very carefully, but right now I plan on at least two more years.

What part of it isn't about the mileage but the age of the tires aren't you understanding?

Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year

Bill

Tireman9, Thanks for the links to the video. Very interesting to see all the work that goes into inspecting a tier before re treading.

The part some still miss is the casings are still less than 7 years old. I would bet most are under 4-5 years old. Over the road trucks put a lot of miles on with heavier loads and wear out the tread much faster than on a coach. I don't think I have ever seen someone changing tires because they were worn out on a coach with 22.5 tiers. OK I have seen some with suspension problems wear the tread off unevenly but that is the only case.

Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year

Bill