Sign in to follow this  
rfsod48

Tread Depth

When buying new tires is the depth of tread an important variable? Logically I would think that a greater depth is a better tire but it seems to me I read somewhere that this isn't always true. Again talking about New tires.

If we are talking about larger size RV tires, less tread depth (of course within reason) is BETTER. It is very unlikely that you will not be replacing tires because of lack of tread.

Deeper tread means more tire squirm and slight loss of MPG as well as slight loss of handling.

For example, go to: http://www.michelinrvtires.com/reference-materials/tire-guide-warranties-and-bulletins/

Click on RV tire guide. Go to page 13 and you will notice that the "energy" tires have slightly less tread depth.

So if one tire you are considering has 18/32" tread depth and the other has 22/32" tread depth and all other factors are equal, I would go with the 18/32" tire.

I love the statement on the side wall on large tires "Regroveable". (Not sure my spelling is correct).

Herman

All that means is that there is extra rubber under the bottom of the groove to the top of the steel belt. In some applications such as City Bus where wear is very poor due to all the turning they can cut more grooves in the tire to improve traction without having to buy a new tire. Sorta like retreading in that you get more miles out of the carcass.

I would not regroove a tire for normal highway (RV) use.