Sign in to follow this  
Timothy Weis

Sampson Tires

I'm in the market for tires, I have a 40 ft Discovery diesel pusher with the original Good Year tires on it. Year model is a 2008, I was checking with the local Camping World in San Bernardino, Ca. 6 new Goodyear G670RV 275/70R22.5 are running about $ 4,600.00. They tell me Michelin doesn't make this size any more, but they have Sampson's in this size for around $ 2,200.00 for all 6. Does anyone have experience with this brand? I average about 1,000-1,500 miles per year on my coach, any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Camping World is telling you a fib as they don't carry Michelin at all. They tried to sell me cheap Chinese tires also but I wasn't going to fall for it. I have Michelin in the same size your looking for but got them from a truck tire place. The Michelin cost more than the Goodyear but for me it was worth as I hated the Goodyear.

Michelin does indeed make the 27570R225 zxa2 for motor coaches. And they are less expensive than the Goodyears, especially as a member of FMCA. Click on the Michelin link on the Home page and it will give you directions on how to purchase on the Michelin Advantage program, as well as give you a rough idea of the cost of that tire less the taxes and labor. Pete's Road Service,Inc. honors the program and has a store in San Bernardino.

I thank you for the responses, I'm not trying to be cheap in any way, it just makes no sense, I know you get what you pay for, I own a business. I'm a preventive maintenance guy, and I don't like to be stranded at the side of the road, no fun. I will look into the Michelins.

Look at the FMCA program for your Michelins. Consider your local area big truck tire stores...better prices than what Camping World quoted you, that's for sure! I'm currently running Bridgestones on my 40 footer ... I like them as much as I did the Michelins on a previous coach. Didn't care much for the Goodyears that the Michelins replaced on the last coach.

Michelins are made all over the world the ones I have on my RV were made in Spain, they are cracked all over and only 5 years old. So Im looking for some that will last alittle longer.

Where do you live for them to crack so soon? Do you keep them covered or apply tires dressing? Are the tires 5 years old on the coach or by the date on the sidewalls? I heard more than once that sidewall cracking is cosmetic.

Another thing to consider with any tire purchase is the Warranty and ease of finding a dealer that can get a replacement tire.

It is possible to get an un-reparable puncture in any brand or size tire. You might check tire dealers in areas you travel to see if there are dealers that carry or can get a replacement of the brand / size / type in a reasonable time.

You might get a great low price from :"Billy-Jo-Bob's cheap tire and bait shop" but that won't do you any good if you are 1,000 miles away from Billy-Jo's one and only outlet.

The internet can provide a lot of information on number and location of dealers.

I just got a pair of Firestone tires in that size for $900 out the door. Bought them from truck store. This is a brand that is available all over the country. I only have driven them about 100 miles but so far as good as the Michelins that they replaced.

You might want to read my post of Jan 4 on the Double Coin thread. It might provide some additional information to help with your decision.