keithannwood

Towing With A Hydrolift

Quite a lot of the "is it OK" depends on your coach and its reserve weight capacity on the rear axle.

1000 pounds 10' behind the rear axle puts well more than 1,000 pounds on the rear axle and removes weight front the front axle. That is fine on some chassis and leads to poor handling on others.

What coach do you have and what is your rear axle GAWR and actual weight?

thank you for your response, I have a spartan MM with Tag, I am new to the coach world however i have had toy haulers for some time. I bought this coach in april and have a dodge 1500 4x4 that i flat tow. the coach weighs 35k lbs but I don't remember off hand what the weight was on the tag.

2011 fleetwood Providence 42P Cummins 400 hp

GVWR front Rear GCWRg G VWR Front GAWR Rear GAWR GCWR

44,600 lb. 14,600 lb. 30,000 lb. 59,600 lb.

thoughts?

I would start by weighing the coach when loaded as you will be using it (with full fuel).

Individual wheel weights are best, but weighing all three axles is a good start. That will get you pretty close to being able to calculate how weights will end up with the lift and bike.

Feel free to post your three axle's GAWR and actual loaded weights for better answers.

I currently have this on my 43ft tag and I am within all my weight restrictions. I would have the coach weighed on each tire for starters. If you go to the Blue-Ox web site they have a sheet you can printout to see if you are in your limits. Basically my 950lb GW adds 2250lbs to the rear axle when it is lifted up. When I had my 36ft, if did the numbers I was within 200lbs of the weight ratings and I did not do it, even though I see many out there. Any questions send me a message.

Bob

I thought long and hard about a Hydrolift for my HD & was going to get one earlier this year. Changed my mind, when a member of

Swinging Golfers had the hydraulics fail while going down I-95S in NC. last March....it totaled the toad, bike and tore out over $ 10K

worth off coach, his is a 14' AMC Eagle 45' DP 600 HP Cummins! <_<:angry:

I saw him last week in NC and this week in SC and he now carries a new HD in the bed of a new 4x4 truck! :wub:

Carl

On the Hydralift, while the bike is lifted and the safety latches are engaged there is no hydraulics in use, just the safety latches holding lift in place. The hydraulic only come into play when the bike is lifted or lowered.