JohnJill

Holding Tank Water Leak - How to Access Lines

Need advice on where to look. 2006 Itasca Meridian has a water leak on the righthand side under the floor above the propane tank. I have taken the peek a boo plate off and see what looks like to be the grey and black holding tanks. Last weekend when we pulled off the pad water was just pouring out of the top of the door, went and looked in the bathroom and floor was wet. Today I pulled off the pad did the same thing ... not as much water coming out and not on the floor. Did the same routine, back flushed the black tank and added water to the fresh water tank by city fill. The water that comes out looks and feels to be fresh water. How do you get to the lines and fittings to check for loose fitting or cracked line?

Thanks

John

John, I have walked down this road before. I would try and locate where the water is coming from. If it is fresh water its usually an o-ring at a faucet, toilet or appliance (HW heater or water pump) where the lines connect to it.

There is usually an access panel in the wall to the rear of the faucet or like in our new coach the you have to remove the mirror on the wall for access. The units I have had experience with have had access in one place or another, just hidden or right in plane view. I did fix my friends TT also, his was leaking behind a drawer where the water pump was hidden under a thin peice of wood at the bottom of the drawer.

My old coach had this happen almost every trip until I made my way around the inside replacing the faucet o-rings in the walls and then ....you guessed it the shower drain began to leak. If you need the o-rings for the faucet connections you can purchase them at a plumbing supply or home improvement center. A house hold toilet flexible water supply tube has the same cone shaped o-ring inside the hose, I just looked for the cheapest one, bought it and pulled the o-ring out and installed it on my fresh water lines. I am not sure if these can purchase these by themselves, my local RV dealer told me NO, you have to purchase a new fitting and have it installed via a crimp with a special tool, I found a work around.

The key is locating the source before the side wall starts to delaminate or the floor begins to warp. I have had the best luck with a mirror and flashlight or just feeling around the connections while the unit is hooked up to fresh water.

Good luck let us know what you find.

John.

Do you check or have someone check your caulking on roof each year? When was it last re caulked? Recommend every 3 years along with a leak test!

I have a capillary leak in my bath room, showed up last Thursday, half way between Charleston and Columbia, SC on I-95 as I was hauling my rear back to Texas. My last caulk was Nov. 13, when I bought coach.

Carl

I had a leak and thought I would never find it. A tech was doing some work in my pump bay. When I picked up my unit he said, "Oh by the way I found that your water pump fitting was a bit loose so I tightened it, your good to go". :wub:

Herman