Sign in to follow this  
gaylemarlowe

Definition Of Extended Storage

I have read most of the posts about not letting your tires set for extended periods on concrete or asphalt, but what is the definition of extended periods?

Weeks? Months?

And how many weeks or months can it set without being up on blocks?

There is no finite "this long is OK and one day longer is a problem. Reality is that the fewer total days tires are exposed to adverse conditions, the longer their safe working life.

When we are not on the road, the tires sit on thin plywood over concrete. Would do the same if on asphalt.

If storing outdoors, covering them so they are not exposed to UV is important. I even put on my tire covers if we will be more than a few days at a CG unless we are in full shade.

And per Michelin, if storing (they gave no number of days either) inflate to the max PSI on the sidewall (actually, it is the minimum PSI for the maximum load).

And, yes if you can take some of the weight off the tires in storage that is another plus.

Thanks. With this info I will carry some thin plywood sheets for setting at RV parks. At home, ours is always inside so don't have to worry about the sun, but interior of RV garage floor is asphalt. So will just make my wood pads a permanent item on the floor.

Asphalt is a big problem for long term as the oils can leech out. Concrete does not pose a problem, however if you are in a storage facility consider that a neighboring storage item could have a leak and puddle around "your" tires. Good reason for some plywood. Also it is a good idea to run the MH down the highway and back 20-30 miles to keep the oils in the rubber activated.

Here is a good blog on TIre Safety and everything you want to know.

Cheers!

There is no finite "this long is OK and one day longer is a problem. Reality is that the fewer total days tires are exposed to adverse conditions, the longer their safe working life.

When we are not on the road, the tires sit on thin plywood over concrete. Would do the same if on asphalt.

If storing outdoors, covering them so they are not exposed to UV is important. I even put on my tire covers if we will be more than a few days at a CG unless we are in full shade.

And per Michelin, if storing (they gave no number of days either) inflate to the max PSI on the sidewall (actually, it is the minimum PSI for the maximum load).

And, yes if you can take some of the weight off the tires in storage that is another plus.

What Brett said.