judatt

Purchase Complete

Greetings, everyone. Thought I would close the loop on this topic and give a final word of thanks in this section for all the great input as we were going through the process of buying our new (to us) 2008 Newmar Mountain Aire. It took longer than I thought it would to get the funds moved from my retirement account but the money hit our bank account this morning and we in turn wired the funds to the previous owner. We are now in possession of the title.

We had pretty much decided to go the route of an LLC in Montana for ownership of the RV. While my research and talking to attorneys indicated it was perfectly legal, it was enough of a question that we decided not to go that route. The final clincher was when we talked to our insurance agent and the premium went down $500 a year when we said we had decided to register in South Dakota.

We received several insurance proposals and we finally decided to go with Blue Sky. For what it's worth - I really liked the agent. He asked good questions. He raised all of the limits we had been discussing for very little additional premium. He also asked since we are selling our house if we needed some different kinds of content insurance. We opted not to add much in the way of personal property but we did add a rider for my wifes valuables (I'm generous and she's worth it). I just liked their professionalism and the product and it turned out to be less expensive that the others. Progressive was a close second on price but VERY impersonal.

We are sending the paper work in tomorrow to register the MH in South Dakota. Since we are buying from an individual and haven't paid tax on the vehicle we'll have to pay 4% but I figured between the savings on LLC fees (upfront and annual) and the insurance, the payback was about 6 years (sometimes its a pain to be a CPA). We are using My Home Address in Emery SD to help us with registration and setting up our residence.

On Dec 7 we are headed to Brownsville, TX. My last day of work is Dec 4 after 29 years with this company and 33 years total working in accounting plus 9 years in the Air Force. Throw 5 years of college and grad school in there and it's time to do something different at a bit slower pace. My wife retired 8 years ago after 30 years as a registered nurse. Its time for me to join her.

Look forward to additional conversations on this board over the next several years. We joined FMCA and paid our dues for 5 years so hope to be around at least that long. Some of you old timers will remember Sgt Schultz from Hogan's Heroes and how he was always saying "I know nothing, nothing"! Well, I know nothing, nothing! about mechanics or how things work but I do know a thing or two about taxes and finance so give me a shout if you think I can help. David and Judy

Congratulations Dave, I'm 43 and I remember Sgt Shultz. As far as knowing nothing about your coach you will pick it up as you go, there are enough people on this forum that is willing to help with questions and guidance if you should need it. Good luck and enjoy your new adventure.

I know nothing about accounting other than how to turn on my calculator and I own a small truck repair business for 10 years now and I still manage to balance out the numbers and make it work, you just pick it up as you go along and learn as you go.

Good morning David and Judy!

It is 66 degrees in Edinburg this morning. The high for the day should be in the mid 80's! We're about 80 miles up the road (inland) from Brownsville! It will get cooler in December and January but you'll have many a day when you will be smiling about the weather here as opposed to elsewhere in the country.

We were with My Home Address for over 11 years before we settled down here in Texas. They always gave us good service.

We've been wintering here in the Rio Grande Valley for 15 years now and find it to be a nice relaxing place to stay. There is plenty to do for almost any interest. Come and enjoy!

As noted, the learning curve will be pretty steep for any RV owner, especially when new to RVing. When we got this coach, RV #6, I thought it would be an easy transition. Wrong...still on that learning curve. :D