Sign in to follow this  
tireman9

Dual Tire Failure - Dec FMCA Magazine Item

I read with interest in Dec FMCA magazine the story of "Roadside Rescue" by John Steciw, F228130 (pg 17) as it involved tire failures.

First I am glad to hear that John was able to resolve his problems but I believe there is a lesson to be learned in this story that may help others avoid similar problems, if appropriate preventive actions are taken.

Now it is important to understand that my observation is based on some assumptions as I do not know exactly what the failed tires look like but I am willing to believe that the tire condition of "blowout" that John mentions is more likely a Run Low Flex failure.

Tires simply do not fail for no identifiable reason and calender age, by itself, is not a fact based reason. The vast majority of "blow-outs" are the result of a combination of overload and under-inflation.

When one tire in a dual application fails catastrophically as John described, it means its companion was operated for some unknown speed and distance at 100% overload. There are a number of well documented cases where one tire fails due to loss of air due to damage or puncture or other air leak. The failed tire is replaced but for a variety of reasons its mate is not replaced so the 2nd failure occurs a few miles or days later.

Nothing against the service tech and his opinion but I have never met a service tech that have ever received the months of detailed training needed to allow them to make a proper and accurate analysis of a tire failure. That skill simply is not in their job description.

The best action RV owners can take is to install TPMS so that they first get a warning as soon as one tire looses air which hopefully will allow them to stop before they unintentionally damage the mate beyond repair.

I read a similar story and I seem to remember that the tires were over ten years old. Could this also be the reason for failures of the tires?

I read a similar story and I seem to remember that the tires were over ten years old. Could this also be the reason for failures of the tires?

Could certainly be a contributing factor!

But, as Roger said, age alone is not a "physical cause of failure". But there are clearly more physical failures with age-- sounds kind of like with humans.