patriot44

Newbie Question About Winter Travel/camping

Hello,

My wife and I are fairly new to camping and the FMCA family we purchased a 2004 Winnebago journey 39w last summer and enjoyed using it with our two young sons for a few trips.

Question I have is regarding using the camper in the wintertime. Obviously I know I want to avoid road salt, if at all possible. But if I'm leaving the generator running what is a practical temperature that I can use my camper down to? Lower 20s? When it's that cold I would use gas heat instead of electric correct?

Just like the heat pump for my house?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Yes, if you have reverse cycle A/C's= heat pump, they will operate down to the same temperatures as a home heat pump.

Below that you can use propane. Actually, it would be cheaper to use propane furnace while driving vs running the generator to power the heat pump(s) even if ambient temperatures are above the minimum for the heat pumps.

wolfe10,
Thanks, that makes sense. I never thought about the fact that propane would be cheaper than running the generator while driving down the road.

I did notice something today though that I found curious. While unplugged from electric, with only the large engine warmed up and running. The thermostat was set at "electric heat" 70 degrees ( it's about 40 outside ambient temperature), The blower came on and was blowing very warm air through the vents, but the I don't think the furnace was running. Is it common to pull heat from the big engine to heat the entire unit? Or is it possible that it was going to a back up propane heat source and was heating with propane?

Thanks

Too many different coach configurations to know. Motor-aid heat was a rare thing, but certainly makes sense if doing a lot of cold-weather driving. It would very likely have different vents than the propane heater or the A/C- heat pump.

I have seen them as an option on Winnebagos.

If you don't have the original owners manuals for your coach, you may be able to get them from Winnebago. That is your best source for how THEY built your coach.

Motor-aid heating is a loop from the engine cooling system that goes through a "heat exchanger" inside the coach. A fan (12 VDC) blows over it and helps heat the interior.

Think of it as a 2nd dash heater.

Motor-aid is/can also be used in reference to a water heater that is heated by engine coolant. A completely diffident animal. But, a good one! With this, water in your water heater is heated by engine coolant when you drive.

I think it might have both, because I've noticed that even with the hot water heater turned off after driving the unit down the road it has hot water available

Thanks for the help, I feel like I have a lot to learn about this subject.

Patriot44,

Welcome to FMCA and the Forum. I see that you travel with your children, which is great, I know that the Winter FMCA Family Reunion in Perry would not work for you. However there is the Summer Reunion this August in West Springfield, MA. The dates are Aug 3rd to the 7th. There will be things for all age of children and there are Seminars and Vendors for the Adults. There is nightly entertainment but most of all there the area would be a great area to visit for the children.

Herman

One thing to be mindful of when camping in colder temperatures (like the 20's you mention) are your basement temps. Items such as fresh water supply, water pump and waste systems can freeze at those temps.

Some coaches have cold weather systems that heat the basement such as ceramic heating and heat blankets under water and waste storage tanks. You'll need to check if your coach is equipped with same. Even if so equipped, make sure your dump lines are liquid free so you don't get an ice plug. It may be best to turn off fresh water supply when it gets really cold so that your "white" hose doesn't freeze up. Drain the water and stow it and use your fresh water tank and water pump.

Check with your destination campground to see if their freshwater systems are still on for the winter. Some campgrounds will shut off their systems to prevent freeze damage. If that's the case you may want to travel with full fresh water.

Welcome to the world of motorhoming and the Forum.

Blake

If there is no water, then take a house and attach to cold water in laundry room...ask manager first, before moving coach! Then

fill up water tank. A little effort for comfort and a happy DW ! :)

Carl

A major disadvantage of living in an RV, especially in colder climates is wintertime. There are a few brands that make cold weather campers, but there are still drawbacks. First the walls on campers are only 2" or less thick so they do not insulate very well. Heating can get expensive. Also RV furnaces are generally not made for constant use in cold weather. If the camper is not equipped for cold weather you will not be able to use the water system at all. Many of the waterlines and drain pipes in campers are run in unheated cabinets or underneath the camper where they will freeze. In campers that are equipped with winter packages the furnace, water heater, and electric tank heaters need to stay on or your water system will freeze and break.