jcbett

Active Terrier and Air Parking Brake

We have a very active Terrier that has locked us out of the truck (electric locks) enough times that my wife always carriers the extra set of keys.

We just bought a DP with air brakes, the brake lock control is on a long arm rest like console along side the drivers seat. This is a wide flat console right next to a large window. She will be up there to see out the window as soon as we go outside.

Need to protect the air brake control from accidentally being pushed down and releasing brakes.

Please offer any ideas you might have.

Jim,

One solution is to cut a piece of PCV pipe:

Length so that it just fits over the rod.

Then slit it lengthwise (10 second job on table saw).

With brake engaged (handle out), spread the pipe and slip it over the rod.

The clothes pin idea has worked for us. We have two Standard Poodles that like to "drive" when we are outside or away from the coach. They've never released the brake. We also chock our wheels as added security.

Blake

We always used a clothespin ( got the info on this forum ) and also put a plastic cup upside down over the brake knob. Never had a problem with our mini Aussie releasing the brake.

My coach has a very nice enclosure around the parking brake with a spring loaded cover covering it, I have to lift the cover to engage or release the brake.

School bus drivers in my state are required to pump the brakes to use up any stored air before leaving the driver seat, with no air the parking brake cannot be released.