Sign in to follow this  
Titleist4

Mountains

Question

My wife and I are planning a trip this May/16 from Hamilton, Ontario Canada to Washington, Philadelphia, Memphis, Nashville, Houston, Austin, Phoenix, Grand Canyon, Denver, up to Mount Rushmore, Kansas, St. Louis, Charleston, Canton then home. My question is after the Grand Canyon, I want to go to Santa Barbara to San Fransico then come back through Las Vegas to Denver. But my wife says there are too many mountains to go over with our 30 footer pulling a car, to do that side trip. Anyone out there know if that trip (Grand Canyon to San Francisco to Las Vegas) would be around mountains or over them? Thanks George

4 answers to this question

Well, I just plugged your intended side trip into my mapping program. It shows elevations from 6000 feet at the Grand Canyon to Sea Level at Santa Barbara and San Francisco with elevations ranging between 300 and then up to 4000 feet in between. Then going to Las Vegas, you will go up to 4000 feet, down to 500 feet and then back to 4000 feet. Las Vegas is at about 2000 feet elevation. The real fun starts as you leave Las Vegas. The elevation goes up to 6000 feet then back down to 4000 before going to about 11,000 as you go over the Rockies west of Denver which is at 5200 feet.

That is all approximate and based on the automatic routing that I have set. There are ways to get to Denver for instance without going to 11,000 feet. That elevation is on I-70 which is the direct and shortest route from Las Vegas to Denver. You can go through Salt Lake City and then pick up I-80 and cross the Rockies at about 8000 feet in Wyoming with no real mountain grades once you get into Wyoming. It is a good climb out of Salt Lake City to Wyoming but there aren't any scary views over the side of the road. Some really great scenery!

We've driven all these roads with our 40' motor home towing an SUV but I've gone nearly everywhere and seen some real mountain roads. If you aren't experienced in driving mountains, this would be a real good introduction, maybe too much on I-70 into Denver. Your wife probably has a different opinion about that trip if she is worried about mountain driving. If mountains are a real fear for her, you could do some checking on routes and find some alternate routes that may take some of the mountains out of the trip but when you get out west, you are going to see some mountain roads. The interstates are usually the most gentle grades and the best surface. You don't indicate the kind of engine you have. With our diesel, mountains are less of a concern than with a gas coach.

George. Welcome to the Forum!

I think you'll find out that your trip from Las Vegas to Denver, will be no different than from Phoenix to Grand Canyon. No matter which road you take to GC, you'll be going over mountain passes and up/down mountains!

If you take it easy and watch the weather you'll have a great time no matter the RV you drive!

Enjoy the US, just as I enjoy Canada!

Carl

George,

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like your trip is going to be fun and exciting. Especially if fuel prices stay low for you. I think your side trip to the Grand Canyon is very doable. We see RVs of all sizes and types along that route. Yes, elevations are high so set a pace you are comfortable with. LA/Santa Barbara & Frisco are no problem either. If you chose the Interstate 5 route through the San Joaquin valley it is flat except for the trek over the Grapevine that has one stretch of 7% grade for a few miles. An alternate route to Frisco from Santa Barbara is US 101. That is a beautiful drive along the California coastline....Central Coast wineries are a must do if you like wine. Then back south to Lost Wages is not a problem either......you'll be a seasoned mountain driver by then!

Blake