scole456

1996 Onan Marquis 5000 Quit

The power went out at home, so we fired up the motorhome generator to run our fridge, little freezer & 1 lamp. It ran fine for a while then started surging & just quit. It isn't getting any fuel so won't start back up.

We have a half tank of gas, so it isn't that. It's a 1996 Onan Marquis 5000, model #5BGMFA26105F. I tried following a link to the Onan website for the 120 page manual with no luck. We need an exploded view of the generator so my husband can trace the fuel line & the fuel pump.

I'm pretty sure it is old gas but my sweetie thinks it is the pump because of the way it quit. It was running beautifully for about 30 minutes and then started surging & was quit within 1 minute. It won't start up now.

He tried spraying ether into it but had no luck.

scole456,

Welcome to the Forum.

There should be a trap door in the bottom of the unit. There is where you will find the oil filter and should be able to see the fuel filter. On some units you may have to remove a side panel. Check which side the fuel line comes into the unit, that should be the side the filter is on.

Herman

scole456, try the fuel filter as Herman suggested first (couldn't hurt) make sure its full of oil also (just in case the low oil safety is activated) follow the fuel line back to the tank and perform a good inspection on it. I had to replace the fuel line on my last coach, it cracked near the tank and was pulling air into the fuel line. That coach chassis was a 1997, it was cracked pretty bad, I suspect from age and ethanol mixed into the gasoline these days.

Old fuel will gum things up, pinched fuel line, filter, cracked line and pump...sort of in that order. Oil level. When was it last serviced and exercised (run at full load) ?

Carl