Sign in to follow this  
Squinko

New Guy Here

Hello all,

I have lurking around this site for a little while and have to say I have learned a ton. The wife and I are about 22 month out from retirement and our plan is heading out full time in a motorhome. We will be towing a 2 door Jeep Wrangler with us. I am one to maybe over research things a little but I just want to make sure I am doing/purchasing the right thing. This site has been very helpful for that.

Thanks in advance for all the questions that will be coming your way soon.

Benny.

Squiko, Welcome to the FMCA Forum Benny!

Feel free to fire away!

You are on a learning curve that every coach owner started at some point and all of us are still learning. LOL

Rich.

You don't mention if you have any type of RV now. My first piece of advice is to rent an RV and give it a whirl. Some folks find out that RVing is not for them.

As far as towing the Jeep, we towed one for several years, no problems...I think Jeeps are the most popular tow vehicle.

Now you will have decide how big you want to go, what floor plan fits your needs and whether a DP or gasser....have fun

"I am one to maybe over research things a little.:" After two years and getting trained up, I'm still researching. My next step, after we go to France, is to rent a 5th/truck, a class A or two, and a Class B. Might even make a few more overseas trips. I'm not in the least bit in a hurry.

In one forum, I was advised that this is a journey. Well, it isn't for me. For me it's a destination.

Most advice comes not from the perspective of the questioner, but from the perspective of the member. This is just the opposite of working with a paid advisor who is more invested in making sure they understand your perspective.

I don't know in what part of the country your at, but during the Summer, there are RV rallies everywhere. FMCA's next big one is August 3, in West Springfield, Mass. You can Google for Good Sam and Hershey. All 3 are great areas to visit and learn first hand what you want vs. what you need!

Enjoy the next 22 months.

Carl

Thanks for the encouragement. To answer a few questions asked, I have used motorhomes, 5th wheels, pop ups, and regular ol' tents. I currently own a little tiny Tentrax that hauls my gear and sleeps two. It's great for the expeditions we like to do in the back country but not suitable to travel the country. My Jeep tows it really well and I can take it off road, even rock crawling.

We live in Arizona and have been to a few RV shows and love it. Floor plans are still something we always talk about and we spend a lot of time talking to folks that have owned motorhomes to find out what worked for them. We like to boondock and get off the pavement so we want a motorhome that can get in the woods if we want. The Jeep will take us back in and up and over areas we want to see. We also plan on staying at campgrounds and RV parks when we start our travels. We love National Parks. We like the 35-40 foot range, DP not a gassier.

Benny