JoeG

Anyone In Milwaukee To Look At A Bus

There is a 71 MCI MC-7 bus up for sale and it looks pretty good from the pictures except for wires running the roof.  I emailed the owner and he is checking some things for me.  It is cheap. 

PM me and I will send the list url unless I can post it.

Craigslist ad and the ebay ad.

Cheers

Rob

The mc 7 was a great bus, it is a 96 inch wide coach, engine is probably the old 8v71, commonly called (318), as that was the rated horsepower. The picture of the engine shows non turbo, the manual transmission should work fine if you are accustomed to shifting these older guys, the lower gear is non synchronized, which means that you will need to know how to double clutch in the event that a really steep grade ever happens. This engine will pair up with an Allison HT740 auto fine, but that would be about $10,000.00 investment. What is the roof wire issue? I did not see anything that stands out there in the pictures, nor read anything is the description. If Fred Hoby, in north Florida was the converter, he did excellent work. Wish that I were closer there, as I would love to look it over for you. I am familiar with these old beast's, and if I can help answer questions, feel free to PM me.

Sorry, after looking back through the pictures, the wiring was "TOO OBVIOUS". Fred did not convert this bus! But one needs to check and determine if the wiring is romex "solid wire" or stranded. Rewiring would not be too hard to do if someone is prone to do this type of work.

Done electrical work (both home and on cars) and designed electronic circuits so have no problem there.  Nor doing any mechanic work (work on all my cars myself) just not on this size.

Bus has a hitch that I need has I am going to tow an enclosed vehicle trailer, so not sure about the 8v71 and 4-speed and easy of driving it.  Does the bus have an engine brake?

I can't see enough of the engine to determine if it has a brake or not, need side or top to determine, but an engine brake is an easy addition on this engine.

Most of us use a wire trace along the top of the windows, then hide that with a valance, or inside the cabinetry.

Be sure to check that hitch carefully, it has to be attached to the motor rail with the same bolts that hold the rear bumper on, make sure that there is some reinforcement to the suspension, if not, that needs to be added to pull more than class 3 requirements.

This coach is monocoque, so you really need to inspect the two inch tubes between the inner and outer walls to make sure that oxidation has not taken over, this is where the most breakdown occurs in this style coach.

Make sure that no tow truck ever attaches directly to the frame, only lift with truck capable of lifting the wheels directly. Most that drive the MC-7 tell me that they have replaced the front suspension with mc-9, for ease of handling and power steering is much better on the newer model, that will be a question for the current owner.

Four speed manuals are fun to drive, but as you know does require the use of the clutch, starting on grades should be no problem because the air parking brake is very useful to prevent roll.

Be careful out there.  Before you trust the emergency brake, get a pair of chocks for the wheels.  MCI used a ratchet- paw on their E/brakes and had a bad reputation of not holding the bus on an incline.  Take it to someone that has worked on these things for a check up before you go to far.  

My brother has a 79 MC9.

That's really old...one of those RVs that will forever have some thing that needs fixed or replaced.  I'm a tinkerer, but this is way more than I'd be willing to tackle.

Seller told me the trailer hitch has a 2 inch square receiver tube that appears to be welded to the frame.  Yes it is old, but with the generator, inverter, water tanks, and the cabinets look nice for $10k might be worth it.  But again you get what you pay for, but sometimes you can luck out.

I am also a tinkerer and have no problem spending another $5k to fix it up and make it safe first and then better.  Will be using it a couple times a year but will be starting and moving it around on a monthly bases.

Moving to AL for business and the company is giving me a lump sum for moving.  I do not have any expensive furniture so it is cheaper to buy what a need in AL for the home.  But I have a large tool box I want to keep as it would cost more to sell it and then replace and I track cars so I started to think get a truck and trailer with the money and have it permanently for the future.  so I looked at getting a pick-up and trailer, then looked at the price of 18-wheeler and saw there was more truck for the money and they allowed me to sleep in them at the track and the further I looked the more options popped up.  Toterhomes (more expensive then I though they would be), to buses.

Joe, S-cam.

JoeG, the trailer hitch looks to be properly constructed for 8 to 10,000 towing capabilities. It is one of few that I have seen that is not attached to the motor rail. If you are a tinkerer, then you will find it to be a fun machine, but as stated by another reply, there is certainly something to do nearly all the time. Also, be aware that the wiring to the trailer is 24 volts, I have replaced all the lights on my trailers with 12/24 volt led lighting which works well because now I can hook to a standard 12 volt or 24 volt now. Also if you use electric brakes on your trailer, provisions will be necessary for proper voltage to that system. All lights on that bus are 24 volt, though the system may have been upgraded to an equalizer system in which case the headlights may have been changed to 12 volts, while all others remain 24 volts.

Yes it is. Nice catch Carl.

If it were me I would RUN, not walk, Run away from this problem infested project. No disrespect to the original poster, just my feelings.

Herman

Funny, 10 years ago I would have been all over this :wub:. Now I would walk also. I have a 1964 Dune Buggy sitting in the garage I don't want to touch, let alone a project this big. Somehow I like to think I still have it in me to tackle stuff like this, might be fun to play if I had something else to run in the meantime.

I re-read everything that Joe G. posted.  It leaves me with the impression that there is something about this that makes no sense what so ever!  When you re-locate for business reasons, you already have a house, condo or apt. in place at the new location and the Company pays for your move...movers, housing, fuel, hotel, etc....not a $10K, antique coach and a trailer!

Just my 2 cents worth.

On 4/19/2016 at 0:44 PM, Manholt said:

I re-read everything that Joe G. posted.  It leaves me with the impression that there is something about this that makes no sense what so ever!  When you re-locate for business reasons, you already have a house, condo or apt. in place at the new location and the Company pays for your move...movers, housing, fuel, hotel, etc....not a $10K, antique coach and a trailer!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Intercompany transfer to a completely different job.  Looking to buy a house and have some good properties on the list.  Offer letter states $10k paid after move that is pro-rated to pay back if job does not workout.  They do not care if it costs less or more than the $10k or how you use the money.  Their do research to come up with the number.

Bus sold on Saturday for $8k.