smarksel

Hydro-hot Line Leak

I have a 2001 Safari with a Hydro-hot system that is leaking Hyro-hot fluid in the line going to the front heat register.  Any recommendations on repairing the line?

Is it the line or a fitting?  We had an Aqua Hot leak in our last coach...the repair was tightening the fitting.

I had ours open and it had a Pex type tubing that switched to rubber at the register. Ours has spring clamps, two on the Pex side and one at the register. I'm sure there is a shark bite type of connection you could source. Just be sure to put the correct fluid back into the system.

Fluid types:

Pink is Camco boiler antifreeze.

Green Traditional automotive antifreeze. Regular pre mixed Prestone is fine.

Do not mix them.

I tried to do some trouble shooting, running the Hydro-Hot system and heaters in both the front and rear of the coach.  I could not get the system to leak.  The only heater I could not get to run was the basement due to the 85 degree temperature.  Can anyone tell me if the system only circulates fluid to the specific heaters operating at  the time and that are demanding it?  When in Williams, it leaked and formed a large puddle under the coach, but the temperature was around 30 degrees and I assume the basement unit was running at the time.  

There are three to four zones. The basement is on a adjustable thermostat. Most are set around 34 degrees. It keeps the basement plumbing from freezing. My unit has a front zone and two rear zones. The rear two are on the thermostat as zone 1 and 2. Each must be set separately. To test run the zones, I turn the A/H on, turn the thermostat on and adjust the temperature to as high as it will go. I will do this on just one zone to exercise the system. I will do this at least once a month. You may do this one zone at a time to check each for a leak.

Herman

SMARKSEL, yes each zone has a pump to circulate that zone, or shall I say that is the way ours is set up with an Aqua Hot system, I have no experience with an Hydro Hot unit. Exercise each zone individually to try and narrow down the leak. If you are seeing it on the ground look around the unit itself. My plumbing immediately goes out of the unit to above the floor level, if you are seeing it outside I would start in the heater bay, maybe pull the covers off of the heater itself, it could be leaking inside, there is a bunch of plumbing in the actual unit along with valves for each zone. I have photos of the inside in the gallery attached below. There is a forum for these systems if you sign up you can ask on there.

http://forum.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/forum.php

Herman, FYI, American Coaches (don't know about other Fleetwood products) do not have adjustable thermostats in the basement.  The thermostat is fixed, somewhere in the 40s, and cannot be changed.