87komfort

Shore Power Question: '87 Komforts29

Help please. I'm new and just got this '87 Komforts29.

Why, when I plug in to the electrical outlet it trips the outlet. But when I was parked at a hotel and plug it it it was fine unless I use all in the motorhome at the same time then it trips.

Now I just plug it in and as soon I plug it in it trips-- why?

Help, we need to know more about your problem!!! You stated that when you plugged in at the hotel, all was fine until you used too much it tripped, was probably on a 15 amp circuit and it just overloaded, probably done with an adapter from 30 amp to 20 amp, and this worked fine., except overloading.

We need to know if the 87komfort is and most likely is a 30 amp unit, that is has a 3 blade plug that attaches to an electrical outlet. Four blades with a super heavy cord is a 50 amp. Now if it is a 3 blade, and you took it home and tried to a dryer type plug at home, here is what is happening. Those three blade plugs on an RV is for 30 amp 120 volt, your dryer outlet is probably 240 volt, if this is the case you will need to go back to the adapter and use 120 volts on a standard circuit until you have a proper 120 volt 30 amp circuit installed.

The campgrounds that you would park in, the 30 amp circuits should be properly wired and there should not be a problem.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum.

87komfort,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Like Kay mentioned, not all the same kind of connections are wired the same regarding the the coaches and the ones used in a house for electric dryers and stoves.

There is RV power and then there is House wiring. 

Due to the age of the coach, I'm thinking you have a 30 amp 120 volt wiring setup in the coach. The same looking outlets at home are wired for 30 amps. 220 volts. When you connect to house 220 volt circuit, this can short out the electrical panel and damage items in the coach.

Your best option wound to have a RV service technician check out the RV wiring and AC powered equipment  in the coach.

Rich.

As said, we need more specific information on both your motorhome and exactly what type of outlets you plugged into and what happened.

At home was the outlet a 15 amp outlet (regular house-type outlet)?  What tripped-- was it a breaker (house or motorhome breaker) or was it a GFI that tripped.

If not a "regular house type outlet" what did you plug into?