EMBaylor72

Axle Alignment: Freightliner Chassis

I purchased a 2015 Winnebago 42QD Tour in June of 2015, have had so many problems with just about everything on this unit, has been in for repair 5 times and still not repaired, last week we were on our way to campsite and a friend of mine was following me, when we stop for a break he told me that the rear of our motor home was way out of alignment, after returning from the trip I took it to a Freightliner dealer in our town, and what he found out was almost to much to bear.

After all the trouble we have had with this unit so for, he told me that the 2 rear axles were way out of line and that it would cost $3000.00 to fix and would not be under warranty thru Freightliner due to Winnebago welding the axles to the frame after they received this unit from Freightliner, major repair and that is even if they can fix it right, he also stated that it would be very dangerous to drive, and I've driven this now 13000 miles

WOW  after all this said has anyone had this problem with this style unit  HELP

If not mistaken, WB offers a 1 yr warranty on their MHs, plus Freightliner has a warranty. First thing is to file a report with WB and with Corporate Freightliner. Freightliner must know that WB is welding the frames,........if Freightliner is not welding them per Wb specs.....:(..

I should be shocked by your report but unfortunately this kind of thing happens far too often. Surprised you did not notice a poor handling situation.

EMBaylor72,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

What you are referring to is Called the Thrust Angle. If your rear axle is out of alignment that far and it is a 2015 model. I would think  it is an item covered under a factory warranty.

Do you have any history of the coach chassis being in a major collision? In transit to Winnebago? Might want to see when it left the plant and when it was received at Winnebago. 

Hard to believe it came out of the Winnebago plant that far off, but the chassis alignment is set before the coach is built on top. I'm not sure they reset that before shipping them. 

Been at the Frieghtliner factory and watched them put together. Just can not comprehend it left the factory that far out off alignment. They drive them out the door and one would think the floor workers would have noticed. The over head doors are not all that wide and one side of the chassis should have been real close to the door frame.

Rich

1 hour ago, campcop said:

If not mistaken, WB offers a 1 yr warranty on their MHs, plus Freightliner has a warranty. First thing is to file a report with WB and with Corporate Freightliner. Freightliner must know that WB is welding the frames,........if Freightliner is not welding them per Wb specs.....:(..

I should be shocked by your report but unfortunately this kind of thing happens far too often. Surprised you did not notice a poor handling situation.

I have contacted Winnebago thru the dealer we purchased it from and want to follow all the right protocol. Apparently Winnebago welds the axle to the frame after Frieghtliner delivers the chassis to Winnebago. That is why Freightliner will not warranty this. That is what I've been told-- we will see, the dealer had this unit for 5 weeks once to fix 15 different problems and still 5 of them have not been fix as of today.  not a good thing, this may get a little dicey. 

Welcome to the forum. I had my coach aligned by my local Freightliner shop. Did you know they have to cut the welds and reweld any time they do a rear wheel (thrust angle) alignment?

I think I paid less than $290.00 because they were running a half price front alignment special.

I couldn't feel any problem but they said my rear axle was 11/2 out of proper location.

You should call customer relations at WB and be sure the information is getting through. I wouldn't rely on the dealer. 

Bill  

18 hours ago, DickandLois said:

EMBaylor72,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

What you are referring to is Called the Thrust Angle. If your rear axle is out of alignment that far and it is a 2015 model. I would think  it is an item covered under a factory warranty.

Do you have any history of the coach chassis being in a major collision? In transit to Winnebago? Might want to see when it left the plant and when it was received at Winnebago. 

Hard to believe it came out of the Winnebago plant that far off, but the chassis alignment is set before the coach is built on top. I'm not sure they reset that before shipping them. 

Been at the Frieghtliner factory and watched them put together. Just can not comprehend it left the factory that far out off alignment. They drive them out the door and one would think the floor workers would have noticed. The over head doors are not all that wide and one side of the chassis should have been real close to the door frame.

Rich

I get what you are saying, you are right, hard to believe that this unit could leave the factory this way, and no history of a collision, this is my first motor home.

I have driven large equipment while I work on our family farm, and during my military service, but never thought that this was right till my buddy was behind me. I'm wanting to see what factory is going to do. Freightliner is saying that they do not welded the axle that Winnebago does after they deliver to them so they will not cover the warranty.

I have had this unit now 10 months and it has been in for repairs 7 times and several of the repairs are still not corrected out of the 10 months the unit has been in the shop for 2 months total one time they had it for 6 weeks, you would of thought they would of caught this also, just a bad deal all over, just want this fix so I can enjoy my RV life.

THANKS FOR YOUR ADVISE.

Why Citrus,mine is Bella, I feel like I will never be able to sell this unit if someone knows everything that has gone wrong with this unit and I wouldn't blame them. I'm really stuck and we will see how good Winnebago is. I will let everyone know believe me.

On 4/27/2016 at 10:56 AM, EMBaylor72 said:

I purchased a 2015 Winnebago 42QD Tour in June of 2015, have had so many problems with just about everything on this unit, has been in for repair 5 times and still not repaired, last week we were on our way to campsite and a friend of mine was following me, when we stop for a break he told me that the rear of our motor home was way out of alignment, after returning from the trip I took it to a Freightliner dealer in our town, and what he found out was almost to much to bear.

After all the trouble we have had with this unit so for, he told me that the 2 rear axles were way out of line and that it would cost $3000.00 to fix and would not be under warranty thru Freightliner due to Winnebago welding the axles to the frame after they received this unit from Freightliner, major repair and that is even if they can fix it right, he also stated that it would be very dangerous to drive, and I've driven this now 13000 miles

WOW  after all this said has anyone had this problem with this style unit  HELP

Where are you located? Have you called and talked to WB? Even if you are out of warranty I would call.

http://winnebagoind.com/contact

Bill

I finally got thru to Winnebago and they sent me to Freightliner,  and they are going to repair the axles alignment.

The Freightliner local shop did not understand the procedure on how to repair so headquarters is helping them thru this, the dealer I purchase that unit should of been more helpful than they were but have not-- been that way from the get go, and Winnebago either.

Had to do all the work on my own, I own my own Service business and have a hard time with the dealer and Winnebago attitudes towards there customers, but it is hard anymore to fine really good service and that is way I guess my business has been growing now for 35 years because of outstanding service that we provide, just want to get back on the road, my Friends  

Thanks to all of you for your help,will give update after it is fixed.

On 4/28/2016 at 9:54 AM, EMBaylor72 said:

Why Citrus,mine is Bella, I feel like I will never be able to sell this unit if someone knows everything that has gone wrong with this unit and I wouldn't blame them. I'm really stuck and we will see how good Winnebago is. I will let everyone know believe me.

Just being polite! Don't want the MH to think we are calling her that "yellow" thing.

Hello, everybody, today my Winnibago Tour is being worked on by Frieghtliner of Evansville to fix the rear axle alignment. Hope this fix will work, after that back to the dealer for more warranty work. They will have it for 2 weeks they said to fix the rest of the problem's that I have been dealing with for almost a year now. I now understand that never buy a product that the selling dealer only sells one every once and a while. 

1 hour ago, EMBaylor72 said:

Everything has been fixed.

I cannot believe the diff it is now that the rear axles are running straight, unbelievable.

Thanks to everyone for your help.   

Glad that you had a friend following you down the road and offered his view of the coach, they are not supposed to run at an angle.

Coaches do drive nice when they are going down the road, when the rear wheels are inline with the front ones.

Did they work with you with some warranty?

Rich.