Sign in to follow this  
gelsw

COPD

I have copd and am having a real problem breathing when we end up down wind of a campfire that is left to smolder frequently all night.

Since we don't "camp" but park for the night I try and get away from fire rings and even ask if they have them when making a reservation. If so we pass. Is anyone else carrying O2 tanks or generators with them and how do you handle these situations?

gary

Gary,

My wife is a survivor of ARDS and has COPD and smoke bothers her. In Montana a couple years ago she went to the ER because of the fires in Idaho and the smoke drift. We also try to avoid camp fires. We close up and turn on the AC, even just the fan will filter a lot of it out of the MH.  Closing the windows and turning on the AC works for us.  She is not on Oxygen, yet, and hopefully never will be. 

We share your concerns.

Gary,

My heart goes out to your wife. I do not have COPD but have several friend that do and the have both Oxygen Bottles and concentrators. I do carry an O2 bottle, regulator and mask when we go to the mountains. The altitude does get to me until I get acclimated. Not too often, but every now and then I will take a few deep breathes of O2 and it helps. 

How does she do in dry areas? If better then come on down to Texas. Here she can get it all both High and Low altitudes, Humid and dry air, Deserts and forest, we got it all so come on down "You'll hear me now".

Herman