fagnaml

Houston Weekend Outing Suggestions Needed

Question

Job demands have essentially eliminated time to go on a week long adventure this summer with my lovely wife (the result of working for an oil company when oil prices are very low!).   We're in need of recommendations for enjoyable weekend outings that are short distances from Houston.   Can't start the journey until ~3:00 p.m. on Fridays and need to return late Sunday afternoons.  Given job stresses I need these short excursions away to decompress and recharge my personal batteries for the next week's work challenges.   Thanks for your thoughts and guidance!

4 answers to this question

Herman has some great ideas. I would definitely be headed to Galveston Island. There are a lot of places to stay there but I usually stay at Galveston Island State park, 14901 FM3005, Galveston, TX 77554, tpwd.state.tx.us(409) 737-1222 I have also stayed at Dellanera RV Park, 10901 Termini-San Luis Pass Rd, Galveston, TX 77554, galveston.com(409) 797-5102.

Not that far down the coast is Rockport I have stayed at Lagoons RV Resort, 600 Enterprise Blvd, Rockport, TX 78382, lagoonsrv.com(361) 729-7834 nice place. Not far is Mustang Island State Park, Corpus Christi, TX, 

One fun thing to do when visiting Galveston Island is to go on one of the trips to watch the dolphins in the harbor. You can do it for free just take the ferry across the channel. I have always seen dolphins doing that. 

Don't get me started with all the good places to eat.B)

Bill

Mike and Cindy,

We are north of Houston in the Conroe area.  When we want to get away for a short weekend we go to the Lake Conroe KOA.  This is a destination park, with pools, lagoons, basketball and other fun things.  Lake attractions and restaurants are along Hwy. 105.  Try Fajita Jacks on the Lake!

I feel your pain with the long hours and little rest.  Deb and I went through it too many times in our 30+ years with Chevron.  Now we are always on the go and our vacations are long enough that sometimes we "can't wait to get home" rather than "can't wait to leave"!

Blake

Kemah Boardwalk, NASA, Galveston island. San Jacinto monument. When you go to one you can ask the locals about their areas. When I travelled in my job I spent a lot of time in the area. One of my favorite thing was to just walk the boat docks and look at boats.

Herman 

Your both right on! :wub:  I retired from Oil in '85 but took on a 2 year Consulting job in 99'...I live on the Island and to get away for a couple of days, I would take the coach and camp at the State Park...1/2 mile from the house, just to get away from phone!!! :lol:

Carl C.