JGCUPP

Simple Toad Connections-- New Silverado

What is the simplest/easiest toad to get in tow mode ?  My old Tahoe was quick & easy.  My new Silverado pickup is a pain.

I am using the same Blue Ox tow bar & it works well.  

It is the set up for the truck itself that is so aggravating.

What do you mean by "get in the tow mode?"  Attaching the base plate to the truck, prepping the toad, hooking up the toad, etc??

Not referring to the cable connections from the motor home to the truck. That is simple. Talking about all the switching, turning & disconnecting on the truck itself. 

On 6/19/2016 at 8:37 AM, JGCUPP said:

What is the simplest/easiest toad to get in tow mode ?  My old Tahoe was quick & easy.  My new Silverado pickup is a pain.

I am using the same Blue Ox tow bar & it works well.  

It is the set up for the truck itself that is so aggravating.

I am trying to understand what is so different between the Tahoe and your new truck. The only thing I can think of being different would be if the new truck is a auto and you had to disconnect the driveshaft. Remco makes a disconnect so you don't have to crawl under the truck to disconnect it. I am towing with a  Blue Ox tow bar so I am familiar with the process.

Bill

JG,

Was your Tahoe a 4 X 4 and is your new Silverado a 2 wheel drive? I have towed with both. Silverado 4 X 4 place in 4 wheel neutral put in Park take out the key.(mine didn't have a steering wheel lock). On my 2 wheel drive Silverado I have Drive Shaft in Dallas, Texas install a Remco Drive Shaft Disconnect. With it all I had to do was pull the lever, place the truck in Park and lock the truck. Oh yeah, in both cases I did connect the tow bar, brake, safety cables and lights.:wub:

I can see one problem with the newer Silverado's, Tahoe's and Suburbans (and their cousins the GMC versions), they put the steering wheel lock back in. On these you still have to leave the key in the Accessory position. If it were mine, just as soon as the warranty ran out I would have a mechanic remove the pin. A simple task that only takes less then an hour.  

Better yet, teach the DW how to hook up the Truck and have a glass of tea while she does it. Heck your going to do the driving while she just sits there. Man am I going to get a lot of flack for that remark. :wub:   Love all the DWs out here!:rolleyes:

Herman