Sign in to follow this  
mikephyl

Freon Capacity 2007 Ford F53 Dash A/C

My cab A/C is cool but I think needs a little shot of freon. I brought it to the shop and was asked for the capacity of the system. Nowhere under the hood could we find this information. They did put a little in but I'm sure stopped short of a complete recharge. If anyone has information on the freon capacity for cab A/C for a 2007 Ford Triton V10 (Fleetwood Southwind) I would appreciate the help. I see all amounts but just can't pinpoint the correct one.

Thank You and safe traveling

Hopefully, someone can answer your question, but not sure it is relevant.

Since you have SOME freon, the only way to reasonably add freon is with gauges.  They will tell when the system is working properly.

Ya, I guess they could let out all your existing freon and then add the full amount, but doubt any competent automotive A/C shop would do that (or that you would want to pay for that).

Mike, Like Brett said. The system is functioning, so the total amount is not relevant.  The Key is the Low pressure and High pressure readings. A good AC Tech can tell if the system is operating at max capacity, by the discharged cold air temp relevant to the ambient temperature, plus the Low pressure readings and the High Pressure readings. 

Yes! undercharged systems do not work well and an over charged system can damage parts and that can get expensive.

Rich.

Thanks for the response on freon system capacity. I know about the pressures and about where they should be based on temp.  What had/has me confused is I never had anyone that has worked on my auto a/c units ask me the capacity of the system. Although the capacity is not needed because the pressures will let you know when things are good, it would be nice to know. That's just me. Thank you for your input and be safe. 

By the way/ it is not freon (R 12) . It is 134 refrigerant.  I happen to have maybe  six to eight containers of R-12 unused if anyone is working on a restoration. Loved that stuff. On a humid morning when the compressor cycled  you could see mist coming out of the outlets. Now that was air conditioning.?

Soo correct. Those were the days of the Harrison Compressors and if you weren't getting around 32 degrees out the vents your system wasn't operating correctly. As the Statler Brothers sang Those were the Days.

Byron, I believe you can still buy R 12 but it is outrageously expensive. It can not be produced in the US however it can be imported and I understand Mexico is making some. 

Herman