CARLBROTHERS

Greetings From FL

Hey there, We are a growing family of 5 or six travelers depending on when the boy in college flies the coop...  We are based in FL, love spending time together on the road exploring things.  I am still working as I am a long way from retirement, but that has not prevented some rather epic journeys.  

We used to tent camp, moved to a PopUp under the guise that it would be easier, then found a gently used Class C with Bunks, and have upgraded to a Jayco Greyhawk that actually has a bed for mommy and daddy.  We do a lot of long distance treks, doing dry camping along the way, which is why our 2015 has 25,000 miles on it.

We rejoined FMCA after learning of so many of the benefits included in the membership, which one does not think of much until you really need it.  If there are any chapters in the Southeast that like little kids that do loud very well, then we would like to hear from them and meet up. 

Last year we Drove From FL to Alaska in the course of a month, so if you are considering this journey, we can provide a number of things that can help you have a less eventful trip.

Carl & Dawn

Carl  B.

I would suggest you click on chapters, then contact the Vice President off the Southeast area.  You could do the same for INTO since you travel all over America and Canada.

Good Luck.

Carl

Carl Brothers,

Welcome to the Forum.

As Carl said there are two gentlemen you may contact, Jim Duncan with the Southeast Area and or David Kessler with the International Asre.

Jim Duncan, National V.P. for the Southeast Area.....jduncan@fmca.com .....256-520-6773 

David Kessler, National V.P. for the International Area....dkessler@fmca.com......972-890-4334

Jim can help you in the Florida area and David can help you Nation wide including Mexico and Canada. Two fine gentlemen and both will be more than happy to assist you.

Hope to see you down the road.

Herman. 

Carl, Welcome!

You sound like you are in a similar situation to us. Two kids in high school here, one with her sights on College soon. We also love exploring in our motorhome and traveling the US.

Joe

I fear that you are going to find that there is a vast wasteland when it come to local chapters for FMCA members with children on board.  Most FMCA members have raised their kids, and sometimes their grand kids, and are pretty much done with having kids running around the campfire.  This is likely even more true in FL where retirees rule!  I do believe there are some National chapters for RVing families with children on board so don't give up, just do a bit more searching.

Especially kids that "do loud real well".  :(

Florida, Alaska, Florida in 30 days !  Your a first, good luck in finding anyone who meets that kind of MH marathon!  :lol::wacko: 

Every organization goes through reorganization periodically.  FMCA is ripe for such a change.  Times are such that those in the process of raising children find their lives so busy that their schedule is totally dominated by the school/sports/band/scouts and other community organizations.  Simply getting the kids time off coordinated with the schedules of mom and dad becomes a barrier to travel and exploration.  Then there are financial considerations.  When I was raising children, there is simply no way I could have afforded a motor home.  Being young and vigorous, I was happy with tent camping and activities like canoe camping and car camping.  We traveled extensively and spent plenty of time outdoors. 

I suspect that a major barrier is that the few people who travel extensively in motor homes with children is so small that trying to get a group together is difficult and if you did form such a group, the differing family schedules would be a major barrier to consistent participation in the group.  In our family, we have three different patterns of vacation travel.  One family takes the kids on trips in a travel trailer.  Another takes their children on plane and hotel vacations.  A third family has a "summer" home where they vacation with their family.  Despite the model that we, Louise and I, have set, economic conditions and other factors have affected their decisions.  They may all end up traveling in a motor home someday but it will likely be after their children are grown and gone. 

Perhaps the model that should be encouraged is to have individual chapters equipped with information that will attract and encourage families with children to join them and a ready list of the kind of activities that will keep those members engaged in their chapter.  Time will tell us how best to renew and bring young people and families into FMCA.  In the meantime, let's see more campfires and marshmallows and fewer happy hours!