Jenanne

Best Route Vail Colorado To Dubois Wyoming

Question

We have a 40 foot RV w/tow will be headed from Vail area in Colorado headed to Dubois  Wyoming then to Grand Teton & Yellowstone.

We have put our destination in to several gps systems and get various routes hoping to go through Yampa & Craig does anyone know if that's an OK route to Dubois?

8 answers to this question

Jenanne,

Use your original post to continue questioning. It will be a tread for it all to tie together. Where are yo starting from? Are you south of Colorado entering where?

Oops! Ok sorry I'm a newbie on this! 

We are in vail Colorado right now will be headed to Dubois then Yellowstone late August....just trying to figure best safest shortest  route! 

J,

131 is also a good road though it is a narrower and more hilly more as it is up a big valley, largely hay and cattle farming. Going that way you can spend some time in Steamboat Springs, one of Colorado's Premiere Ski areas. Lots of great eateries and art and sculpture sources. 

J,

Likely this will be the shorter route, at least to Craig.  However a much prettier drive by large margin would be 131 to 134 same kind of road to 40 bigger road, over to Walden, Colorado. The road is not marked on my map but is same as you have been on. It is not off the beaten trail. Then tke take 125 out of Walden north. Where 125 becomes 230 (northeast) and 127 (northwest) go northwest on 230 to Riverside where it ends and becomes Wyoming 130 North.  130 will then take you to I 80 and Walcott. It is easier here just head West 18 miles and you will find Rawlins, Wyoming and US 287 to your destination. This is not off the top of my head, trust me it is from a rand M map in front of me!!!    I will add that there has been a big fire up Walden way so I would check with the Colorado State Patrol before heading that way. You know as you go along and are past one segment of the destination put the next little part in the GPS, and so forth. It makes it pretty bullet proof getting where you would like to be.

Have a great drive.

Best

Bill Edwards                                               

The first question is what is your skill/experience level? If you are experienced in traveling on narrow two lane roads you shouldn't have a big problem on either rout. If you don't feel comfortable I would stay on major roads as much as possible.

Bill

Last time I was up there, I took the Freeway to Rifle and then 13N to 789 to I-80.  Nice road and nice  scenery 90% of the way...I was in a 40' DP. 

Carl,

13 last year was rough as a cobb, terrible. We had friends down that way from Oregon and it was 30 and 40 MPH for miles. That road takes a real beating from oil rigs and the elements.

Bill