tireman9

Antifreeze On Tire: Good? Bad?

At the FMCA Convention in West Springfield this week and at the "Ask the Experts" seminar there was a mention of the use of antifreeze on tires to make them look better. As a tire design, Mechanical Engineer, I said I wasn't sure this was OK to use on tires but since this was a new idea to me. I said I would check with a rubber chemist.  Got the answer today. " I definitely would not recommend it " was the answer.

Pretty clear to me.

We went to an RV show a number of years ago and one particular company had really good looking tires.  I asked what he used and he said, "don't tell anybody because it is bad for your tires, but the stuff that makes 'em look the best is brake fluid."

In Perry, I also went to that seminar...I was there about 10 minutes, the questions was off the wall...I had to leave, I was chocking on not laughing...

Now, Anti freeze?  That's a new one! 

I have heard of the brake fluid before. I knew someone that would use it to shine black trim on his truck, it didn't take long for it to curl :lol:.

Tireman, thank you for the information. I'm sure it will help someone stay safe.