Sign in to follow this  
blakeloke

Another Toad. 2016 Grand Cherokee or 2016 F-150?

Folks,

We currently have one toad that we use when on the road with our coach.  As our signature implies, it is a 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 4wd diesel pick-up.  It's a monster with a 4" lift and 35" tires.  For the most part it is really overkill to tow it behind the coach unless we have a large load that we are taking to our destination.  Note: the truck weighs 7900 lbs. empty and we never exceed the towing capacity of the coach and hitch.

We are now on the hunt for another toad and have narrowed down to two vehicles.  The Jeep Grand Cherokee or the Ford F-150.  Both 2016 models.  This has been a fun exercise for me as I took our criteria and the FMCA Dinghy Guide and looked at and drove most of the models that basically fit our criteria.

Researching the Grand Cherokee on this forum I find that previous year models have had problems with getting the transfer case into neutral for flat towing.  I'm not sure if Jeep has fixed this for 2016 and would be grateful if anyone can give me insight.  I don't want to ask the salesman that question because I'm sure the answer would be "yes"!

http://community.fmca.com/topic/6933-problem-with-jeep-grand-cherokee-transfer-case/?page=1

The F-150 is a great truck and has been for a million years.  But, it's only 1.5" shorter than our current truck (the Grand Cherokee is 5' shorter).  Both are within 100 lbs. unladed weight of each other.  So, would also like to hear from others on their experiences flat towing an F-150.

Thanks!

Blake

3 hours ago, FIVE said:

You might want to check out the "Death Wobble" with Grand Cherokees.  I just binged it and this is the first article that came up:  

http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/death-wobble.html

The "Death Wobble" is with Jeep Cherokees, not Grand Cherokees! They are two completely different vehicles. The Cherokee is a Jeep/Fiat developed unit using many Fiat components including a transverse mounted engine (read front wheel drive/all wheel drive), the Grand Cherokee is a Jeep/ Mercedes Benz development which shares many components with MB SUVs. No Problems with "Wobble". As far as the Transfer case is concerned, we had a 2012 Grand and towed it for 30K miles with no issues, until lightening got it! (Fried computers)

Refresh my memory. Wasn't it the Grand Cherokee that has problems with the transfer case? Didn't they throw lots of time and money into components only to find it to be a program error. ????

Herman

The Jeep Cherokee has or had the "Death Wobble".  The Grand Cherokee had issues between 08-14.  Don't know if that has been fixed.  Check the 16' towable guide at FMCA.com

Did you try the Jeep unlimited?  That you can tow all day long!

Carl 

46 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Refresh my memory. Wasn't it the Grand Cherokee that has problems with the transfer case? Didn't they throw lots of time and money into components only to find it to be a program error. ????

Herman

Yep and Yep. I heard that they applied a "fix" to some Grands, which caused the Transfer Case to fail. Tried to fix with hardware. Our '12 was never updated and we never had any problems. (Until the lightning)