rfsod48

Cat C7

Caterpillar calls their thermostats, regulators.

Cost of labor will vary WIDELY.  If a side radiator, the job should take less than an hour (drain some coolant, replace regulators and gasket, refill coolant).

If rear radiator and the guy has to access the top of the engine from inside, then run back and forth for "outside vs inside" tasks, a lot more.

I would suggest not asking for a quote until you are able to show the tech/service writer what is involved in accessing them. If they don't know that the job is easy, they will/should shoot HIGH.

I have a rear radiator, is this repair something a non mechanic with moderate skills can do or best left to professional?

It is not technical. The biggest issue is the an accessibility one. If you can open the engine hatch and find the regulator housing and one does not need to contort to get at it then it is 4 bolts and away you go. It is not anymore difficult to change them than in your car except for accessibility.

Bill Edwards

3 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

I have a rear radiator, is this repair something a non mechanic with moderate skills can do or best left to professional?

I don't see a problem. It should be easy or hard depending on what the coach builder put in your way. If I remember correctly just follow the top radiator hose to the top of the engine. When you are ready to put the regulators back in fill the block to the bottom of the regulators. This will reduce the air pocket that needs to be bled off. A small pocket should not cause a problem.

Bill  

Here is one more tidbit of information on this. Whilst installing the regulators, check the three small bolts that hold the large regulator block to the side of the engine block!!! One of them cost me three days on the side of the road replacing a 2 dollar gasket. One of those three bolts was never really as tight as it should have been and the gasket finally eroded enough to begin leaking...and you know the rest of the story. Fortunately no physical damage except to lost time. Applies to C7 and 3126B

Bill Edwards